Just got my 97 ZJ! have a few problems, need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just got my 97 ZJ! have a few problems, need help!

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
BRae_in_a_ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Just got my 97 ZJ! have a few problems, need help!

I just got my first Jeep today! A nice 97 ZJ with a few minor mods. 125k miles. everything runs well with a little character ofcourse.

Major problem: My ABS light is on. not quite sure what to do about this...

also my tires are rubbing if i cut the wheel 100%, i can only cut the wheels about 85% then they start to rub. anything i can do?

Thanks for any advice! Im just starting so thanks!

Unread 02-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
norcalzj
1996 ZJ 

I had a hell of a time getting my tires to turn without rubbing , had to trim the fenders and then actually beat in part of the wheel well at the bottom by the front door , that was a pain since its all part of the unibody. then folded the wheel well seem over as far up as I could .. as far as the abs I couldn't tell ya , luckily I haven't had problems with it .. "yet"...
forumrunner_20120220_002639.jpg   forumrunner_20120220_002708.jpg  
norcalzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
oldsixinarow
1998 ZJ 

I have owned a number of ZJ's over the past few years and probably half have had an ABS light on. In my experience, removing the ABS module from under the ABS pump, sending it to BBA Reman in Mass., and reinstalling it upon its return gets rid of the ABS light on the dash. Getting the module rebuilt costs $100 and it's worked every time for me. Plus, you can still drive the car while the module is out, because the abs wasn't working before you sent it out anyway. Lifetime warranty on the repair too. Check out their website: http://www.bba-reman.com/US/index.aspx. You'll need to email them for information on having your module rebuilt as our cars are old enough that it's no longer listed on their website. It's an "ATE" brand abs module, though, and you'll see that is the major brand they repair. Volvo and Ford also used ATE modules, so there's tons of them out there...
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
joeyb629
1997 ZJ 

if your MAJOR problem is the abs light being on, then you are a lucky man. mine was on when i bought my 97 ZJ, took the bulb out of the dash so i don't have to look at it anymore.
joeyb629 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
BRae_in_a_ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The guy i bought it from has already tucked the fenders in about an inch but i will see what else i can do without breaking anything... like i said its not a huge problem. thank you so much!
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
BRae_in_a_ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsixinarow View Post
I have owned a number of ZJ's over the past few years and probably half have had an ABS light on. In my experience, removing the ABS module from under the ABS pump, sending it to BBA Reman in Mass., and reinstalling it upon its return gets rid of the ABS light on the dash. Getting the module rebuilt costs $100 and it's worked every time for me. Plus, you can still drive the car while the module is out, because the abs wasn't working before you sent it out anyway. Lifetime warranty on the repair too. Check out their website: http://www.bba-reman.com/US/index.aspx. You'll need to email them for information on having your module rebuilt as our cars are old enough that it's no longer listed on their website. It's an "ATE" brand abs module, though, and you'll see that is the major brand they repair. Volvo and Ford also used ATE modules, so there's tons of them out there...
Thank you so much i will certainly do this. it seems well worth the money. Much appreciated!
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
BRae_in_a_ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalzj View Post
I had a hell of a time getting my tires to turn without rubbing , had to trim the fenders and then actually beat in part of the wheel well at the bottom by the front door , that was a pain since its all part of the unibody. then folded the wheel well seem over as far up as I could .. as far as the abs I couldn't tell ya , luckily I haven't had problems with it .. "yet"...
Thank a bunch! ill see what i can do

Tags
abs , tire rub , tire rubbing , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.