Just got a Ford 8.8 axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just got a Ford 8.8 axle

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Just got a Ford 8.8 axle

Came off a 2002 Explorer Sport, 160,000 miles. 3.73 limited slip. Including calipers, pads & rotors. $150.

My ZJ has 3.55 gears, but I have 3.55 gears from a 94 f150 8.8 and it should swap in.

Guess I'm saving up for Artec truss kit. Or Might just hack off the d35 mounts and weld them on the 8.8. Don't know just yet. Moneys always tight and from what I hear I will also need a driveshaft and wheel spacers (or offset rims?)?

Anything else I'm gonna need?

Thats all, just wanted to tell somebody. I told my wife she didn't seem to care.

Trick440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

If you are going to use the 3.55's from the F150 you might want to use its carrier too if its open. Only suggesting using the open carrier in case you decide to get a lunchbox locker later on down the road. Plan on getting the driveshaft shortened about an inch, or if you have adj control arms you can move the axle back an inch or so. I would rather put 3.73's in the front to match but thats my opinion.

If the exploder brakes are good then use them, the ZJ brake lines will mount right up with a little tweaking. Wheel spacers are only cosmetic, nobody will notice the difference unless they already know or you point it out. I will add that the factory ZJ wheels didnt fit my 8.8 with explorer brakes, the inside of the wheel rubbed the calipers. The rubbing was only very slight and I removed a very small amount of material off the edge of the calipers.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #3
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Awesome man! I wouldn't mind scoring an 8.8, the only thing I think I'd have trouble with doing that would be welding on new mounts. Can't weld. haha

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
srieger
1995 ZJ 

Congrats on the score! Have you checked out iro's 8.8 swap kit? Makes it so the 8.8 bolts right in, with some welding needing to be done of course. Its what ill be picking up when its time. From what ive seen you probably wont need spacers. But thats not from experience, just stories ive been told. Good luck with the install bud, keep us posted.
srieger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
If you are going to use the 3.55's from the F150 you might want to use its carrier too if its open. Only suggesting using the open carrier in case you decide to get a lunchbox locker later on down the road.
I don't have the f150 carrier. I'm hoping to use the explorer limited slip carrier for a little bit, then getting a locker that replaces the whole center chunk.

My rear arms are adjustable and I already have aftermarket steel rims (possibly offset), if I could get away without those extras expenses I'd be super happy. Just hearing I don't need that stuff makes want to go buy the Artex truss kit right now, its on sale to the 6th for $350 shipped.

As far as the gearing I would like to go bigger, but already running a detroit truetrac up front its only compatable with the 3.55. So for now I'm stuck with 3.55. I only notice the gearing on large rock crawls... I don't like large rock crawls, more of a trail, hill climb type of guy anyways.

Whatever I do with brackets, aftermarket or cut of the d35s I'll let you know. After work I'm going to take a long look at the axles and try and get a game plan.

Ill take some pics too. I got a spare d35 and the 8.8 right next to each other.
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Dont use old brackets. Its been done before but if you buy a kit/make your own brackets, they;ll be sooo much heavier than stock brackets. Im really happy with my Artec kit.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

dude.

keep the 3.73 axle.

swap in a D30 with 3.73s out of a V8 cherokee. easier and you get some better gearing......... i don't see why the true trac won't work with 3.73. or is there a carrier break? shoudln't be
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

D@mn the artec stuff went up...glad I bought mine when they first came out...$260 + shipping of like $30

Anyway, that install was easier than cutting the old brackets off IMO

The truss kit is very simple, but it's truly way more than I needed but I couldn't pass up the price being almost the same as the IRO kit so I went with it.

It's good to have a buddy on the removal and install of the new axle, that 8.8 is pretty damn heavy...and can move around a bit on the jack.

Idk what lift or size tires you have, but how you think the 3.55s are good boggles my mind. Hell I have 4.56s and want more ...they're great for mine though...just wanting v8 type of power is all or stroked i6
image-18543319.jpg  
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
dude.

keep the 3.73 axle.

swap in a D30 with 3.73s out of a V8 cherokee. easier and you get some better gearing......... i don't see why the true trac won't work with 3.73. or is there a carrier break? shoudln't be
I know d30's have a carrier break from 3.55 to 3.73 im not sure about d35's or 8.8's though

Build thread^^
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
If you are going to use the 3.55's from the F150 you might want to use its carrier too if its open. Only suggesting using the open carrier in case you decide to get a lunchbox locker later on down the road. Plan on getting the driveshaft shortened about an inch, or if you have adj control arms you can move the axle back an inch or so. I would rather put 3.73's in the front to match but thats my opinion.

If the exploder brakes are good then use them, the ZJ brake lines will mount right up with a little tweaking. Wheel spacers are only cosmetic, nobody will notice the difference unless they already know or you point it out. I will add that the factory ZJ wheels didnt fit my 8.8 with explorer brakes, the inside of the wheel rubbed the calipers. The rubbing was only very slight and I removed a very small amount of material off the edge of the calipers.
Depending on the amt of lift. I Got lucky with my swap, I was able to use my existing driveshaft. Im at 4.5" and swapped in a 242 Tcase. (Im not 100% sure if a 242/249 are the same length end to end..) BUT, those two factors plus the added inch or so from the "longer" pinion on the 8.8 made my stock ZJ driveshaft fit just about perfect.

I dunno if itll pertain to the OP but it worked out well in my case.

Build thread^^
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Firehawkclone
1993 ZJ 

IMHO you won't need the truss. I welded the tubes and added the IRO bracket kit. I made some new axle hardlines and a currie flex line kit. I was short on time not money at the time. I also run a lokar ebrake kit($$$) but it was simple. I run some ARP wheel studs with the perfect 5/8" spacers. I think I found them from Coleman racing. I have 4.88 on 33" and love it. It's no speed machine. But it doesn't flinch hauling this expo rig & trailer anywhere.

Firehawkclone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

The guy couldn't get 1 of the wheel lugs off. It broke 2 of his wrenches. So he gave be both wheels on aluminum rims, was a nice bonus. Overall the axles in real nice condition just a small amount of surface rust.

Do we know what this electric plug is (located top center & a little to the right) in the first pic?

Unread 04-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick440 View Post
Do we know what this electric plug is (located top center & a little to the right) in the first pic?
That sensor was used for speed input for ABS and/or VSS.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.