Just did my 6th water pump in the last 3 years - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just did my 6th water pump in the last 3 years

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

My original stock pump lasted about 65K, same for the first Flowkooler. On my second Flowkooler now, better cooling.

Did you use the correct gasket combination?

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
My original stock pump lasted about 65K, same for the first Flowkooler. On my second Flowkooler now, better cooling.

Did you use the correct gasket combination?

I used one gasket and it turns freely. Used one gasket on the last Flowkooler and there was no sign of any impeller interference.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I feel your pain HL. I went through four in less time. I've got a mopar on there now. If it craps I'm thinking about the hesco pump. That is if a wire reinforced lower hose is even still available.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
jeepjeep523
1998 ZJ 

I got about 80k out of my first one. Found out by coming home from school one day and seeing antifreeze all over the driveway. New bosch one has about 16k on it.
jeepjeep523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I'd say check your belt tension but IMS the 5.9 has a spring loaded tensioner.

In my experience the second leading cause of bad water pumps is stray current through your cooling system. Had this happen on my mom's old car. Went through a water pump per year after we swapped a rebuilt motor into it. Checked all the grounds and they looked fine. Added another ground from a braket near the water pump to the battery negative and stopped eating pumps. Her terrible battery terminal corrosion problem went away too.

You can check with a multimeter. Put the negative probe on the negative battery terminal, take off the radiator cap (cold), start the engine, put the positive probe in the coolant without touching anything metal. I believe anything over 0.7 volts is bad.

I had really bad corrosion on my ZJ's positive battery terminal and I went through two water pumps in about three years. I checked the coolant and was over 0.7 volts. Replaced the negative terminal, the lugs on the negative cables, cleaned the ground to the fender and block. Corrosion gone and still on the same pump.

Just my personal experience.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #21
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

odd im still on my gmb brand pump going 2 years now in a few months... it leaked out the weep hole very slowely for a bit but its been fine since... perhaps try a diff brand instead of going 3 times with the same two brands
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #22
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Was why I asked about pitting.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.