Just Checking Before I Replace the Oil Pan Gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just Checking Before I Replace the Oil Pan Gasket

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Just Checking Before I Replace the Oil Pan Gasket

Guys

This morning I have replaced the rear main oil seal and fitted a new oil pump. Having reviewed various threads on the forum, there are no shortage of methods for actually replacing the oil pan. Some say fit the seal to the block first and other say fit the seal to the pan first.
What is the best way to complete this task? Also is it worth running a bead of RTV around both sides of the gasket or just stick to the corners as per the service manual?

jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

As long as both gasket surfaces are clean and true then you shouldn't need any rtv and more often than not both surfaces are true enough to seal without anything other than a gasket.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
KJK
1998 ZJ 

I RTV'd the corners per the service manual. I had the gasket on the pan and used a few pieces of tape to hold it in place while offering it up.
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Thanks guys. Gasket now on. I used a little RTV to hold the gasket to the pan and a little more as directed on the block. Wont know how sucessful it has been until tomorrow when i have finished all the other things on my todo list.
jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.