Just changed the Transmission Fluid, and now it shifts worse?(video included) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just changed the Transmission Fluid, and now it shifts worse?(video included)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

Just changed the Transmission Fluid, and now it shifts worse?(video included)

Hey you guys, I spent majority of my day changing my transmission fluid because it has probably never been done. Everything went smoothly until I took the Jeep for a test drive. The dip stick is reading the correct amount of fluids when I have it in neutral. When I drive however, the Jeep will put itself in neutral and I have to give it some gas to pop it back in drive. It is now slipping worse then before. Now, I have had this problem before, but never this frequent. It slips almost every time I idle now. Also every time it slips out of gear the idle goes way down as if the Jeep is going to stall. See the video below for that. In the video the Jeep is in neutral and is standing still. You can see the needle go down every time it pops out of gear.
What could be the problem? What did I screw up? I just did a fluid change today.

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxa3-LJhz-Y
steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve L. View Post
In the video the Jeep is in neutral and is standing still. You can see the needle go down every time it pops out of gear.
What could be the problem? What did I screw up? I just did a fluid change today.
This is very confusing. In the video is the Jeep just sitting in N idling?
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

yes, the Jeep is sitting in N idling. When I drive it has a harder time shifting gears and when I stop for like a stop sign or something like that it goes into neutral and does exactly what you see in the video.

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

Unread 05-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So you changed your fluid after xxx,xxx miles and your trans is slipping now?

If its slipping now worse than before then the friction material suspended by the oil is gone and well that's your answer, you need new trans or at least a rebuild. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post.
Unread 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

I hate to say it but yes, it is slipping worse after the fluid change. I have this Lucas "Transmission Fix", do you think that will help at all if I add it in?

Unread 05-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve L. View Post
I hate to say it but yes, it is slipping worse after the fluid change. I have this Lucas "Transmission Fix", do you think that will help at all if I add it in?
If it was slipping before the fluid change then unless you put the old fluid back in (not a good idea) then you won't see any improvement. The old friction material from the belts and clutch plates has worn off and was suspended in the old oil, without that friction material to aid the clutches they will continue to slip.

Only real option is to rebuild or replace. The fluid change didn't make the damage, it just made it more apparent.
Doubtful that the lucas will help, its designed to prevent wear and nothing will replace the lost friction coating on the clutch belts and plates.
Unread 05-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Lucas makes the oil a little thicker, I heared it helps with wonr out clutchs and stuff. I would give it a try. You have nothing to do lose now if your transmission is really slipping. 127k on a 42re is pretty piss poor IMO, like extremely poor im suprised its doing this at such low mileage. I wuld have the transmission flushed if the lucas doesnt work, and see if that helps

I would check out the TV cable tho.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
127k on a 42re is pretty piss poor IMO, like extremely poor im suprised its doing this at such low mileage.
I beg to differ. Most people are lucky to see 125k out of a 42re.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

Check or replace the TPS!
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

Transmission problem fixed. I decided to add in a little more oil and also add in the Lucas Transmission Fix and it runs great. Better then before.
Thanks all for your suggestions.

Unread 05-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSooNmonkey View Post
If it was slipping before the fluid change then unless you put the old fluid back in (not a good idea) then you won't see any improvement. The old friction material from the belts and clutch plates has worn off and was suspended in the old oil, without that friction material to aid the clutches they will continue to slip.
This has got to be the craziest thing I have ever heard and I hope I have totally misunderstood what you are saying. If so I apologize in advance.

You cannot put old fluid back into a transmission and gain ANY kind of improvement. Any friction material, or even metal shavings, cannot be UN suspended and put back into the transmission. Once the materials are worn off of the clutches, bands and any other part of the transmission, they are worn off forever. The fluid simply washes the suspended material out of the transmission and is drained out. Some of this suspended material actually clogs filter screens, valve body passages and servo pistons and causes the transmission to fail.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
cmosu
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyZJ View Post
This has got to be the craziest thing I have ever heard and I hope I have totally misunderstood what you are saying. If so I apologize in advance.

You cannot put old fluid back into a transmission and gain ANY kind of improvement. Any friction material, or even metal shavings, cannot be UN suspended and put back into the transmission. Once the materials are worn off of the clutches, bands and any other part of the transmission, they are worn off forever. The fluid simply washes the suspended material out of the transmission and is drained out. Some of this suspended material actually clogs filter screens, valve body passages and servo pistons and causes the transmission to fail.
The crazy thing is its repeated over and over. I agree with you though.
cmosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
Devbear12
1995 YJ Wrangler 

it sounds like your low on fluid, i am a trans tech at a jeep dealer and i rarely see slipping trans clutches as a problem. Check in park on level pavement. Dont use additives, strongly discouraged. Is the trans making any whining noises. If it is then likeley a front pump problem. also you said all day doing a drain and fill, did you remove the valve body? if yes you possibly created a problem. also did you change your filter in the process and did you replace the oring on the filter? if your filter is leaking at the pickup your pump will suck air in from the leacking pickup between the filter and valve body. also if its popping out of gear maybe you just need to adjust linkage. i think its done near shifter cant picture it right now.
Devbear12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
classicmetalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devbear12 View Post
if yes you possibly created a problem. also did you change your filter in the process and did you replace the oring on the filter? if your filter is leaking at the pickup your pump will suck air in from the leacking pickup between the filter and valve body.
O ring?? I've dropped/changed the filter on my 42RE several times n never noticed an O Ring. Are you saying there is supposed to be one mounted to the valve body where the filter hole cinches up to?

Filter/gasket kits from parts stores never contained one. Used filter from kits but ended up ditching gasket for OEM from dealer, solved my leak !!!

Please let me know about the O Ring thinger...thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devbear12 View Post
also did you change your filter in the process and did you replace the oring on the filter? if your filter is leaking at the pickup your pump will suck air in from the leacking pickup between the filter and valve body. also if its popping out of gear maybe you just need to adjust linkage. i think its done near shifter cant picture it right now.
X2 on that one,
what do you mean O Ring? Mine didn't have an O Ring that needed to be replaced. The old filter gets unscrewed and the new one gets screwed on.
All I did on mine was drop the pan, put the new gasket on, replaced the filter, and put new oil in. I think what caused the problem was that I didn't put enough oil in to begin with. Yes, at first the dip stick read normal like I originally posted above, but then as time went on it wouldn't show anything on the stick which is why the shifting seemed worse. There wasn't enough oil for it to do anything. So I simply added more oil until it read in the "okay" range, gave it another drive and things went well. I think what happened was that the oil started to absorb into the new filter so when I went to check the dip stick later on it didn't read anything.
My trans runs better then it originally did.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.