Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

junkyard fuel injector swap and result

26K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  melk 
#1 ·
read a few threads about swapping out fel injectors with ones out of a dodge neon, and a few different model fords.

couldn't find one neon with the 2.4, and the ford v8's were all super high mileage. One of the threads mentioned using a ford taurus duractec engine's injectors.

found a taurus with only 100000 km's on the clock, and it was really easy to get at the injectors. 8 bolts hold the upper intake manifold on, and four bolts to get the egr tube off and you have easy access to everything, took 10 minutes. injectors are blue in colour and no, i forgot to get the serial numbers off them. paid a whopping 7 bucks for all 6.

took a little fighing to get them installed,

removed fuel rail and old injectors, and cleaned out bores with a toothbrush and throttle body cleaner.

it was much easier installing the new injectors to the rail first, lubbing the o-rings with trans fluid, and then installing the whole assembly to the head.

avereage mileage according to the trip computer before was 16.8 miles to the gallon with 50 / 50 cty / hwy. 280000 kms on the clock with a fresh tune and oil change and free-flowing exhaust (stock cat, cherry bomb glass pack, and junkyard tailpipe off a v8 GC that has a larger diameter)

no BS the trip computer now reads average of 22.8 in city with a much better seat of the pants feel. haven't run it on the highway yet, we'll see.

real easy swap / upgrade if you have the patience.
:2thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
If the new injectors flow more than the old ones, the engine computer will adjust the fuel trim to compensate and keep the proper air fuel ratio (based upon feedback from the O2 sensor). Since the computer doesn't know the flow rate has changed, it will assume that the reduced injector on time means it is injecting less fuel into the engine when it sends calculations to the trip computer.

#4 ·
Dear god I dunno how/why this became known as the "Neon injector upgrade" but that idea needs to die die die DIE!!!

You're not going to find them on a Neon.

You want the 703 from 2.4L 95-97 Chryslers. I've pulled 3 sets from 3 different Dodge Stratus now. Fuel rail is literally sitting right there, 2 bolts and it's off. Must have took me under 3 minutes to pull em off. Ford is 715 off mid 90s 4.6 and 5.0L.

I definitely noticed a difference after I installed them, engine runs smoother and I'm getting about 20-40 miles more per 20gal fill-up.

The injector swap works on any engine 4.0 5.2 5.9

#14 ·
Dear god I dunno how/why this became known as the "Neon injector upgrade" but that idea needs to die die die DIE!!!

You're not going to find them on a Neon.

You want the 703 from 2.4L 95-97 Chryslers. I've pulled 3 sets from 3 different Dodge Stratus now. Fuel rail is literally sitting right there, 2 bolts and it's off. Must have took me under 3 minutes to pull em off. Ford is 715 off mid 90s 4.6 and 5.0L.

I definitely noticed a difference after I installed them, engine runs smoother and I'm getting about 20-40 miles more per 20gal fill-up.

The injector swap works on any engine 4.0 5.2 5.9
How on earth did that even get started....I love the injector upgrade...its much smoother

#8 ·
703 from 2.4L 95-97 Chryslers
715 from 4.6 & 5.0L 90's Ford
Awesome, ill keep these for my records, Thanks!

Dodge Stratus ? What year? and what size engine?

#9 ·
AcidAnton said:
703 from 2.4L 95-97 Chryslers
715 from 4.6 & 5.0L 90's Ford
Awesome, ill keep these for my records, Thanks!

Dodge Stratus ? What year? and what size engine?
:facepalm:

Chrysler = Dodge = Jeep = Ram = Plymouth = MOPAR

You want a 2.4L Dodge Stratus 95-97

Or any other Chrysler variant with the 2.4, Plymouth Breeze, Chrysler Sebring, but around here my yard had 0 of those but plenty of Stratus. GL!

#12 ·
I love these injectors! Chrysler had a mini van with a 2.4 as well. There are different connectors on different years. I read a thread on cherokee forum explaining it all. So I set out and bought the correct ones and it's nite and day difference!!!!! Definitely improves the crappy idle of the 4.0.

#16 ·
Got all mine waiting to be put in. Just waiting for the dough to get motor, and trans mounts, mag catback,new fuel rail and other odds and ends.

#18 ·
Just makes it easier to go in once if possible. I even managed to find the trans mount brackett that has the exhaust pipe mount bushing on it. Three places told me it was no longer available.

#23 ·
Zee, from what I've absorbed you get a smoother idle and a shift in the torque curve towards the lower end. The straight runners are biased toward the upper rpm's. I don't think mpg is a real player in it but alot of people who have also went to the four hole injector claim to have picked up some mpg.

The manifold itself does hold a larger volume of air but unless throttle body modifications are made you are still drawing air through the stock ID bore. With all the hiway you do i'm not sure it would be worth it but those who know more than me will chime in hpoefully.

#26 ·
Pre-99 manifold has a tiny tiny plenum chamber with only 2 runners which feed the end cylinders. The middle 4 branch off from those at harsh angles. It's almost laughable what a poor design it is when you compare it to the redesigned 99+ manifold. The plenum chamber is huge and feeds each cylinder directly with curved runners. The pictures speak for themselves.

I've had mine on for a week. Low end grunt is great, pulls hard from a standstill or rolling start. On the highway I barely have to touch the throttle to maintain speed. I'm seeing pretty good mpg numbers so far, about halfway through my tank. I'll get a proper number when I fill up in a couple days. I'm trying to take it easy but it's hard not to keep punching it to the floor :D

Attachments

#27 ·
LOL,thanks melk for "pointing that out" to us. Looks like a good install. Damn you got big toes,lmao. How did the vac lines go in? Have to splice alot? Was trying to do my own thing and change the oil, fix a wiper washer leak,put another coat of clear on the 5.9 rims, but nooooo, the GF had to go on b+++ch fit and I broke the top of the sending unit off. $51 for a socket and unit later at advance, she's getting close to being replaced also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.