Junkyard Find - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Junkyard Find

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
DTrem08
1996 ZJ 

Junkyard Find

Well, finding anything relatively decent in any of my locla junkyard is hard to find...but today I found the first Grand Cherokee with the upcountry package (tow points, TC skid, Gas tank skid). I believe its a 97, I know its a limited.

My question is would the gas tank and TC skid fit on my 96 Laredo? Also, would it be worth taking these factory skids?

I couldnt see, but does the Upcountry come with some type of engine skid or no?

2 more less important questions, would the Auto Temp control work in my laredo and if I took the leather heated seats from the junkyard along with the switch, would my laredo have the wiring to the seat for the heat?

**KOR Radiator Support, IRO 3.5" lift, 31/10.5/15" Maxxis Bighorns on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's, JKS Bar Pin Eliminators, KOR Light Bar, 4 Black KC HiLites, Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown/no tailpipe, OME Steering Stabilizer, Black KOR square rock sliders
**If youve seen it around CT or know about it, PM me
DTrem08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

The skid plates will work and are worth it as long as you don't have them already. There is also a front skid plate but I have yet to see it doing any protecting.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

I added power/heated seats to my Laredo a few years ago. You need, obviously, the seats and the panel with the controls, but it's not plug and play. You have to figure out the wiring. I can't remember exactly how to do it, but you can take the fact that I did it without burning up anything as proof that any idiot with a 12v tester light and a wiring diagram can do it.

Still work perfectly almost two years later.

Don't know about the HVAC auto-control thingee, but I would have serious doubts.

(former) 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo
77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

I looked into the HVAC swap when I first got my Jeep. Not worth the headache/money. Normal controls are vaccuum controlled. Auto is electronically controlled. Tough swap.

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 12:18 AM   #5
95ZJ

stock TC skid plate is junk i think. its helped ya, but i would have rather bought an aftermarket one.

first time out after i put the stock one on, a couple small bumps here and there and its bent to crap now. im not sayin it didnt help, cause it did for sure but id get an aftermarket one.
just my
-33" tsl's
95ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 04:37 AM   #6
DTrem08
1996 ZJ 

Ok, so the front and TC skid are crap?? GAs tank is worth it though?

And the seat switch can be done relatively easily, and the HVAC is just too much. Got it.

Question:

If I have the stock hitch on my ZJ, will the gas tank skid still fit or no?
**KOR Radiator Support, IRO 3.5" lift, 31/10.5/15" Maxxis Bighorns on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's, JKS Bar Pin Eliminators, KOR Light Bar, 4 Black KC HiLites, Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown/no tailpipe, OME Steering Stabilizer, Black KOR square rock sliders
Unread 10-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #7
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTrem08
Question:

If I have the stock hitch on my ZJ, will the gas tank skid still fit or no?
it should, from what iv heard. it bolts up with the tow hitch bolts i believe..
somebody told me that when i asked them about removing my tow hitch.
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
95ZJ

ya they both fit up there, i put the skid plate up first and held it in place with a floor jack and then put the hitch in place and bolted it all up
-33" tsl's
95ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
jfowlzj95
1995 ZJ 

Gas tank skid will just bolt right up. Go ahead and grab the t-case skid, its better than nothing. Then when you get an aftermarket one you can sell it. When I installed the stock t-case skid mine didnt quite bolt right up, I had to feed 2 bolts through the cross member and for the mount to the 'frame' the bolt holes didnt line up so I used a self-tapping bolt and mounted it kinda like Kevin's sliders.
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Definitely grab the gas tank and TC skids, and the tow hooks if you don't already have them. I don't really know why people are saying the TC skid is junk...it's not that bad. I've wheeled mine pretty hard and I have a few dents in it, but it's done it's job just fine.
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #11
Redbob
2004 WJ 

Depends on how much those skid plates are going to cost you; if they're dirt cheap, and the relatively high cost of an aftermarket plate puts you off, by all means get all of them.

Considering the oft-reported problems with ATC systems, I certainly would NOT touch the climate control.
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
Redbob
2004 WJ 

And you'll still want to go to the dealer to get some of those "AVK"s the threaded inserts that go into holes in the body for attaching the T/C skid.
There's also an installation tool I think, or maybe just a bolt and nut, that comes with it.
If you bought the skid at the dealer, all these parts are included.
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #13
DTrem08
1996 ZJ 

OK, well I already have Kevin's rad support with the shackles...however I am missing one ....so the tow hooks are useless

Depending on the price I'll get both, but if my memory serves me right, the TC skid looked pretty mangled, but I could be wrong.

Depending on how ambitious I get, I'll probably take the front springs as it is a v8 and put them on the back of mine, i sits lower after the F-> swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.