Junk Yard Prices? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Junk Yard Prices?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Junk Yard Prices?

So I went to a junkyard around here for some odd and end parts, and to maybe just see what I could find. I was orinigally looking for a new Auto-Dim inside mirror because I think one of the sensors is bad on mine, and also the rear wiper / OD module thing because it doesn't light up anymore for whatever reason...

He told me he wanted $35 for the mirror, and $15 for the module... I also came accross a set of Limited doors panels I liked because they have the woodgrain, and he said he wanted $125 for all 4 and thats without the power window and lock buttons....then he said he accepts cash only....

So I walked away not only because the one-tooth smoke filled man was starting to creep me out, but also because I had a feeling he was trying to rip me off... and thoughts on this? Was I just being over paraniod? Are they good prices?

Oh and also FYI, the condition of the parts was only fair... the ground was sand, so all the cars were real dirty and dusty... If I got the parts, I'd have to really clean them up....

Thanks
Mike

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
dpierson

I'd say those prices are pretty fair. Many more sofisticated junkyard will set prices based on what teh new part retails for and most of those parts if available are probably not very cheap. Most junkyards I have been to are dirt lots so its the same no matter where you go. Those that have indoor storage and are good about pulling out good seats and the like are the exception but even their yards will be dirt.

Traded 8/9/07

[SIZE=1]Black 94 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 42RE/NP231 Command Trac
Sylvania Silverstars, Alpine CD Head Unit, Pioneer 3-Ways in the Doors, Blacked Out Grill, Kolak Exhaust, Clear Corners, Bilstein Shocks, Gas Tank Skid, Rear Hitch, Hitch Wiring, TC Skid, Hellwig RSB, Military FSB, Brembo Front Rotors, OME SS, B&M Supercooler, RE Tie Rod, Limited Power Leather Seats, 30x9.5 Toyo Open Country ATs, Optima Red Top

Next Mods: Upgrade Battery Cables, Sliders, Black Steelies, 3" Lift, Rear Locker, Bumper, HO Alternator, Winch, Driving Lights[/SIZE]
dpierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

What no chained-up three legged junk yard dog, drooling to sink his teeth into your throat Junk yards are fun. I usually open the door of a car that is infested with bees.

Most yards are connected to the world wide web. They can hook up with more sales and it seems the price has gone up since it is easier for them to unload their junk.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
Ahardy4

The key to junkyards is to find one you like and stick with it. Because whoever is at the counter sets the prices you are much more likely to get a good price if the person knows you and knows you will be back. The yard I go to will usually just give me the little odds and ends I need, because they know that when I need anything bigger I go to them first. In other words it pays for them to keep me happy, and it pays for me to give them my business. Win win.
Bone Stock
Ahardy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
offhand_remark
1994 ZJ 

yeah yard prices can be rediculous, I have overpayed for a lot of odds and ends. fortunately i'm a pretty good acquaintance with the dealership mechanic and he has a '93 for parts that he lets me strip off of...has balanced me out a little.

[B]"He who fights with [COLOR="Red"]monsters[/COLOR] should look to it that he himself does not become a [COLOR="Red"]monster[/COLOR]...When you gaze long into the [COLOR="Blue"]abyss[/COLOR], the [COLOR="Blue"]abyss[/COLOR] gazes long into you." - Friedriche Nietzche[/B]

[B][COLOR="White"]*________[/COLOR]
[COLOR="White"]/l[/COLOR][ ][ ][COLOR="White"],[/COLOR][___\[COLOR="White"],_[/COLOR]
[COLOR="White"]l[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]-------[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]L 0IIIII0-[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Black"]()_)[COLOR="White"]--[/COLOR]()_)--o-)_)[/COLOR][/B]
offhand_remark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I paid $590 for a complete ZJ driver's door. There was only one locally. Beat buying the parts from Mopar and assembling and then painting the door.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #7
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
What no chained-up three legged junk yard dog, drooling to sink his teeth into your throat Junk yards are fun. I usually open the door of a car that is infested with bees.

Most yards are connected to the world wide web. They can hook up with more sales and it seems the price has gone up since it is easier for them to unload their junk.

haha funny you mention that, I was walking back to my car and I passed the dog and he barked really loud at me... it scared me at first because I didn't see him walking in. It was a big rautwiler. Anyway, Yeah, I guess I thought they were high because I was finding similar prices on e-bay for the same parts, and expected the junk yard to be dirt cheap for some reason...

I guess the mirror and wiper thing are ok priced... but $125 for 4 door panels without any switches?? Oh well, maybe i'll try to find another one around here somewhere and go from there... and if that doesn't work, stick with e-bay

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:54 PM   #8
henryp1983

junk yards blow
henryp1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

That isn't bad, only 31.25 per door even if you did have to clean them up. You could probably talk them into throwing the switches in.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.