Junk yard lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Junk yard lift

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
zjdamien
1993 ZJ 

Junk yard lift

Ok got a 93 zj with 4.0 l6 what's the most lift I can get from a junk yard lift I heard u can put the V8 front springs on the rear and get 4 inches so what can I get for the front

zjdamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Jones
Consider the following...

The cheapest lift you can do is a 2" Budget Boost.
The next cheapest is a 3.5" front to rear swap that uses your front springs in the rear and all the components you see here.
IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: ZJ 3.5" Lift Kit

The I6 springs net the same amount of lift as the v8 springs so you'll be fine there.
Unread 09-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Darthteddy
1955 M-38 

I heard a long time ago that Coils out of Certain older model Ford Pickups (F150s) would fit ZJs and would net alotta lift. Cant remember if anyone ever tried it tho. I know their alot stiffer and im pretty sure their the same diameter. I wanna say it was either early 90s or late 80s F-150s. Thad be your ideal Junkyard lift.
55 Willy's M38a1 - 231v6, 33" Super Swampers, D44 Full Floater Rear, Locked Front and Rear, 5.38 Gears, Viair OBA, Bilsteen 5100 shocks, Dana 18, Turbo 350, S10 Power Steering, Tilt-wheel, Full Cage, Flat Fenders....
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Jones

The spring rate from those would equal a horrible ride quality. I'd stay away from that option.
Unread 09-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJones View Post

The I6 springs net the same amount of lift as the v8 springs so you'll be fine there.
say what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthteddy View Post
I heard a long time ago that Coils out of Certain older model Ford Pickups (F150s) would fit ZJs and would net alotta lift. Cant remember if anyone ever tried it tho. I know their alot stiffer and im pretty sure their the same diameter. I wanna say it was either early 90s or late 80s F-150s. Thad be your ideal Junkyard lift.
good, im not the only one who has heard about that then lol
people thought i was crazy when i brought that up once
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
say what

good, im not the only one who has heard about that then lol
people thought i was crazy when i brought that up once
I can never remember who it was, I think sadass, tested both sets of springs and they both had the same amount of lift.
Unread 09-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

I've tried V6 XJ Springs (almost no lift, and sooo soft it had horrible handling ), ZJ I6 springs (a little over 3", stock ride and handling), and ZJ V8 springs (about 4" quite a bit stiffer than stock). I went with the I6 springs because the V8s were stiffer than I want in a DD.

Also, on stock control arms, I had more vibration with the 4" than I wanted.
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 02:57 AM   #8
sandman
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
I can never remember who it was, I think sadass, tested both sets of springs and they both had the same amount of lift.

yep.
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Maybe you can find a ZJ with a lift in a junkyard...

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
deltl1ks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on doing this as well.

Can you just do the below, or do you have to buy the kit above? Would a new set of OEM shocks work in the short run on this lift?

I have a part's Grand Cherokee V8 so I have the V8 springs front and rear. Planning on removing my ZJ front springs to the rear and installing the front v8 spring's on the my ZJ front.

Sounds like the v8 springs all the way around would be a rough ride compared to what I'm looking for based on the above thread.

Those of you whom have done this, what are your thoughts on it?
deltl1ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you can't just put springs in and call it a day...there's a lot of other things to attend to in a 5 link suspension set up.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltl1ks View Post

Can you just do the below, or do you have to buy the kit above? Would a new set of OEM shocks work in the short run on this lift?

I have a part's Grand Cherokee V8 so I have the V8 springs front and rear. Planning on removing my ZJ front springs to the rear and installing the front v8 spring's on the my ZJ front.

Sounds like the v8 springs all the way around would be a rough ride compared to what I'm looking for based on the above thread.

The rear of your jeep would be sitting 3.5" higher than the front. The front to rear swap uses stock front springs in the rear and new 3.5" springs for the front. You can't use stock springs on all four corners and expect a level lift. The kit I posted earlier has what you need.
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltl1ks View Post

Just putting V8 springs in your Jeep won't net any lift. To do the F>R, you put V8 springs in the rear of your Jeep, and put 3.5" springs in your front. However, many people have complained about that ride being pretty harsh. You can get 3.5" springs all around for not too terribly much money.

All that being said, there's much more than just throwing 3.5" springs on your ride. You're gonna need adjustable trackbars and new shocks at a minimum. Do yourself a favor and read through the FAQ's, it explains many, many things, this as well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
The rear of your jeep would be sitting 3.5" higher than the front. The front to rear swap uses stock front springs in the rear and new 3.5" springs for the front. You can't use stock springs on all four corners and expect a level lift. The kit I posted earlier has what you need.
Beat me to it!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

If you do a 'Junk Yard' lift, you will get exactly what is implied by the name.
JUNK.

If you want junk, have at it.
If you want better, save your $$ and do it right.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.