Jumpy Transmission?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jumpy Transmission?!?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-12-2003, 07:33 AM   #1
KillerZJ

Jumpy Transmission?!?

When i accelerate kind of hard, like maybe to pull out in front of someone, for example, my transmission or ignition or rearend skips like i am spinning a tire with a limited slip activated, so it jumps around like a fiend. Going up a hill it does it no matter what. WHAT SHOULD I DO?? do any of you have any ideas what it could be? thanks for all the help i can get!

Wow no pictures in sig? F*cking gay.[/FONT]
KillerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
automan25

I'm assuming you don't have any warranty from the dealer you just bought that Jeep from? According to a post from you in a previous thread it sounds like you just bought this vehicle, is that right?

I've only had my ZJ for about 6 months. I bought it from a private seller. Right after I bought it I changed all of the regular stuff. The axle fluid, Tcase fluid, oil, transmission fluid, fuel filter, transmission filter, etc. I didn't do the brake fluid because it looked pretty clean, and it's a pain to change.

I also changed the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. It would be worth your while to do all of this regular stuff as preventative maintainence, and see if it doesn't fix the problem you having currently as well. Without more details it tough to say what the problem your having is.

If you did just buy this vehivle, then you should check with the dealer to see if there is a short warranty on the cars they sell. Also check with your state attorney general's office to see if your state has any laws protecting you as a car-buying consumer. There may be mandatory warranty on a car sales or something like that.

Last edited by automan25; 02-12-2003 at 10:41 AM..
automan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 06:35 AM   #3
KillerZJ

yes i just got the ZJ. I will try to do watt you said.

Unread 02-16-2003, 07:04 PM   #4
crazynut52

This sounds like my transmission in my 96 ZJ. If the transmission fluid was changed, and Chrysler ATF +3 was not used, it will act just like you said, seems as though maybe a tire is spinning or the differential is at fault, but this is because ATF +3 was not used. Changing the fluid will help... If the fluid has not been changed recently, a transmission failure is sure to blame.
crazynut52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2003, 06:45 AM   #5
KillerZJ

yes it was the transmission that needed to be replaced. so i am getting a new 42RE Transmission and i hope to get it back today. thanks guys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.