Jumped a bad starter, lost power to everything! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jumped a bad starter, lost power to everything!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Espn8theocho

Jumped a bad starter, lost power to everything!

Hi guys,

So I have a 94 GC, with a bad starter solenoid. I needed to go pick up a new one and right now, this is my only transportation. So I did what anyone else would do, put the ignition on, got under there and jumped the starter with a screwdriver. I have done this before and it worked just fine. This is also how I checked to see if the solenoid was bad.

However when I did this, i got a slight spark then nothing. I have no power now. Nothing on the inside has power. no lights, no dash, no power locks ect...

i checked all the fuses under the hood, they are all good. What else could this be?

Thanks!

Espn8theocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

The main fuse. It's a monster. 60A I believe.

If it's not that, I can't remember if there's a fusible link on these or not. Check to see if you're getting 12VDC on the input lug of the fuse panel. It's a 6 or 8 gauge wire that's bolted to the front of the Power Distribution Panel (under hood fuse box).

If you've got 12V there it's the 60A main (Alternator) fuse. If there's no 12V there, it's either the fusible link or the battery coincidentally crapped on you.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.