Joining the Family! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Joining the Family!

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 04-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
the1amradio

Joining the Family!

Well, I think I've decided to join the family again! I built a YJ up a year ago and then let her go. I drove some euro cars but I'm ready for an SUV again. I found a middle aged widow in town looking to get into a sporty sedan and out of her WJ, so I took aim. I'll be trading her my 1999 BMW 323i for her 2001 Laredo. It has every option I can think of aside from nav, which is fine as I assume it would be outdated by now anyway. Heated leather, power front and pass seats, sunroof, 10(?) CD changer, etc, etc. I was worried about the mpg difference, but I worked it out and it'll cost me $4.80/100 miles more to drive the WJ, so that's like one beer or half dozen wings less on Friday nights. Is there anything to look out for? It's got the I6, Selec-Trac, no accidents, 84k, and the towing package. The headlights are hazy looking, but I think I'll go ahead and pick up some of the newer styled clear headlight housings off of ebay fairly cheap. I'd also like to get the window vents and bug-guard. A friend just picked up an 08 Xterra and got "low profile" vent shields, anyone know where I can pick up a set of those? Anything I should look out for other than the obvious stuff? It doesn't have the blend doors or whatever, though.

the1amradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

I6 is pretty good engine as you may know if you YJ was 4L, the same issues too. Save you money on headlights, ebay ones will get hazy quick too if not OEM, OEM ones are $$$
. Follow this link and they will look new again http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2485084

If you want to keep it as a highway queen, replace your OEM shocks and add rear Addco sway bar, it won't feel much different from your bmw as far as handling goes. I personally would look for V8 but if it's a good deal, don't pass it. Good luck with the jeep.
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

Sounds like a good rig. LWB's are the way to go (Don't tell the wrangler boys)

Obviously change your fluids, and keep an eye on them

I'm getting some ebay lights, too, as I'm sick of sanding mine.

One thing you'll probably have to deal with one day soon is warped front brake rotors. Its a common thing and getting some cheap brembo oem replacements seems to last a little longer and of course is lighter on the wallet than stockers. Its just the name of the game on the WJ.

Good luck. We'll be here when you need us.
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_da_jpr View Post
One thing you'll probably have to deal with one day soon is warped front brake rotors. Its a common thing and getting some cheap brembo oem replacements seems to last a little longer and of course is lighter on the wallet than stockers. Its just the name of the game on the WJ.
get new style OEM calipers the first time you replace your warped rotors and this issue will go away.
Also see wjjeeps.com for some good info
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

Hopefully this will make the issue go away. Many (including myself) have found that this may not cure the problem but will help extend the life of rotors dramatically, (especially combined with the brembo oems I mentioned before).
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
the1amradio

Sorry, what's LWB?

For the brakes, the WJ had rotors, pads, and tires replaced about 2k ago and I felt absolutely no vibration from the front when braking, so hopefully I'll be okay for a bit with that.

I plan to keep it mostly stock as an older XJ trail beater is in the cards for late summer/fall. But, I don't think that a WJ could possible handle as well as my BMW... it's just not gonna happen with that high of a center of gravity. Regardless, I don't think that I'll be too worried about the handling; it's an SUV after all.
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

Long Wheel Base (LWB) vs Short Wheel Base (SWB)
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1amradio View Post
But, I don't think that a WJ could possible handle as well as my BMW... it's just not gonna happen with that high of a center of gravity. Regardless, I don't think that I'll be too worried about the handling; it's an SUV after all.
Get that 1" Addco rear sway bar, good quality shocks, new TREs (tie rod ends), good alignment and performance tires and you'll be pleasantly surprised. But again, you have I6, sorry
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

good to hear man... IMO 2001was the best year of the WJ
Unread 04-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
the1amradio

Thanks guys. Yeah, I actually found a similar deal on a 2000 V8 limited with a few more miles on it. I don't really need any sort of added power as I don't tow anything or need the added UMPH of the V8. I was actually going to just buy an A6 wagon, but the AWD makes it comparable fuel economy wise and the jeep is cheaper to work on and I can do it myself. That and I'd rather get up off of the road in an SUV again. If the suspension in the jeep doesn't need anything, it's not getting it. I'm very familiar with TRE's, ball joints, and all of this PITA suspension components as almost all of them had to be replaced on my A4. This is going to be my "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" car until the mod bug hits hard (as it has with everything I've owned)
Unread 04-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1amradio View Post
For the brakes, the WJ had rotors, pads, and tires replaced about 2k ago and I felt absolutely no vibration from the front when braking, so hopefully I'll be okay for a bit with that.
By the sounds of the soon to be previous owner, it might have had the front brakes upgraded already. Just search on Teves vs Akebono and you get an image to tell you if it's been done. The Akebono's are the calipers you want.

I'm a second owner to someone who took it to the dealer and got things like that fixed at whatever it cost. Lucky that.
Unread 04-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #12
the1amradio

I doubt she had them replaced with the newer calipers. She's a 60-something widowed dental tech and isn't really about that stuff. I think it's just that it has new rotors and pads.
Unread 04-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #13
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

60 something is "middle aged"?

Dental techs make good money, no reason to think they don't maintain their vehicles.

Anyhow, at least you know what to look for in front brakes...
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

I got some high quality drilled rotors and my warping problems went away. But since your nrakes are new, just upgrade the calipers before they overheat the rotors and warp them.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #15
the1amradio

Well, I'm not saying she doesn't make good money, but she's not one who seems to be into "upgrades" and "mods" she was more by-the-book with fixing the stuff I think. What am I looking at price wise for the new calipers? And yeah, 60 is middle aged these days, fellas.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.