JLB GTO220 question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > JLB GTO220 question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-29-2003, 11:45 AM   #1
coops1105

JLB GTO220 question

I got a pair of these midrange/tweeters for x-mas and i am clueless on how to install them into my jeep b/c it has the infinity sound system. I remember a while back we had a post about this and somebody has the exact same speakers so i was wondering how you did it. If this makes any sense at all please help me out.

Unread 12-29-2003, 01:08 PM   #2
ccyoder

That may have been me. I do PLAN on getting those JBL's, but haven't yet (need to by a new suspension first!). I've taken the factory tweets out for inspection and reinstalled and it's a really easy process. Check out wjjeeps.com for detailed instructions on how to install the tweeters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops1105
I got a pair of these midrange/tweeters for x-mas and i am clueless on how to install them into my jeep b/c it has the infinity sound system. I remember a while back we had a post about this and somebody has the exact same speakers so i was wondering how you did it. If this makes any sense at all please help me out.
Unread 12-30-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
coops1105

No taking out the stock tweets is not sweat. Whats difficult is getting the new ones hooked up b/c there is a wire harness (I think thats what its called) for the stock tweets but the jbl's dont have that so I am now confused like crazy on where/how to hook the new ones up
Unread 12-30-2003, 01:00 PM   #4
ccyoder

Alright, this is no sweat too. Just cut the wiring harness of the stock speaker wire, figure out the polarity of the wires (use a voltage meter. If you don't have a voltage meter, hooking the speakers up backwards will producing a popping noise). Just hook them up the right way and sauder the speaker wires to the terminals on the jbl's. ( I just bought a sauder gun and sauder wire at the local hardware for like $10).

You may have to drill new holes into the jbl plates to match the stock holes. Be careful that you don't drill through your new speakers!!!
Unread 12-30-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccyoder
Alright, this is no sweat too. Just cut the wiring harness of the stock speaker wire, figure out the polarity of the wires (use a voltage meter. If you don't have a voltage meter, hooking the speakers up backwards will producing a popping noise).

You don't need to go through all that rigamarole. Here's the wiring diagram with the correct wire colors for all the speakers -

Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2003, 01:21 PM   #6
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha_Kip
You don't need to go through all that rigamarole. Here's the wiring diagram with the correct wire colors for all the speakers -

Along with the information Buddha_Kip gave you, if the stock connectors won't fit your new speakers, rather than cutting and soldering anything, I would get some crimp on wire taps and tap the new connectors into the appropriate wire. That way, if you ever want to return to stock configuration (ya never know), it will be ready.
Unread 12-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #7
fureyj

Go to a Circuit City or Best Buy they should have an adapter for the harnesses. I got the adapters for my door speakers. It involves no cutting, splicing or anything just plug and play.
fureyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 12:30 AM   #8
coops1105

Thanks guys. Huge help
Unread 12-31-2003, 02:08 PM   #9
coops1105

I got them hooked up today since I dont have school and had nothing to do. The hardest part was making the new brackets so there was something to hold the speakers in place. Buddha thanks for the diagram it saved me from extra work. Sounds great

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.