JKS Adj Track bar help needed - Dvr side - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > JKS Adj Track bar help needed - Dvr side

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

JKS Adj Track bar help needed - Dvr side

Okay, so, while dismantling and giving everything a good check for wear and replacing components where needed, I come across a disturbing find. The size of the holes at the body mount for the track bar to the driver side are 1/2in diameter, yet the hole in the center sleeve of the JKS trackbar is of slightly smaller diameter. This allows play between the bolt and the frame mount. What gives? I don't think I'm expected to bore/drill out the JKS-supplied sleeve so....is there supposed to be a sleeve supplied that allows choice for a larger diameter bolt? I dunno.

The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
nick62087
1999 WJ 

I think the hole in the frame mount is supposed to be smaller. Mine was also 1/2 inch, but i think it got enlarged by the track bar being loose and wobbling around.

I bored out my JKS sleeve and used a 1/2"-20 grade 8 bolt, i think that was a factor in curing my death wobble.
I bored out the sleeve on a lathe. I imagine you could also do it with a drill press if it's secured and you're careful. Also you might be able to call IRO or somewhere and see if they sell individual sleeves in the exact size you need.
nick62087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
nick62087
1999 WJ 

Heres a pic... doesn't really show much, except the new bolt.

nick62087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Thanks for the picture and sizes posted. Yeah, that's what happened with mine it seems. The back side of the mount didn't look wallowed out; it still looked to be in good condition - but the front definately is, yet both will easily accept a 1/2in bolt slid through them. And I have no way of accurately boring out the trackbar bushing sleeve, so I contacted KOR and they are sending out a larger sleeve instead. That was nice of them. At 1/2 inch there is absolutely No play at all between the bolt or a 1/2 in sleeve so that should eliminate some front end play that could lead to DW. And that's what this is all about - taking the time to nitpick at everything front and rear to bring the suspension back to factory riding condition, but with a 3in lift. The largest improvement will be fixing this trackbar issue, and replacing the entire rear A-Arm assembly.

Ha, I had to laugh at myself. I've had a metal-to-metal scraping sound forever under my WJ and couldn't find what was causing it. While going through all this suspension stuff I stumbled upon it. See, in that pic below, how your drag link bends upward then back to the right? Well, I had that side installed on the passenger side instead, which had the drag link too close and scraping against the sway bar link at its base. Doh!

Thanks guys!
The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.

Last edited by EisBlade; 10-25-2009 at 10:07 PM..
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.