Jepp ZJ 1996. dies on the road (5.2 V8) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jepp ZJ 1996. dies on the road (5.2 V8)

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 07-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
zaczg
1996 ZJ 

Jepp ZJ 1996. dies on the road (5.2 V8)

Hi all,

well I was (and big WAS) new "happy" owner of Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 from 1996. until today. Just a little history, I owned a 1986. Toyota Corolla Ae86 GTI, then a Mitsubishi Starion 2.6T and Mazda MX-5 1.8 (2001.), non of these cars ever failed on the road, until I bought Jeep .

I had big confidence in US Jeep with V8 engine, but failed me .

So, know I dont know what went wrong, it was very hot day, about 30C, and I drove on one hill (on the road not off road) with my friends. And it stalls, with big noise and loses power quickly.

I noticed that oil preasurre gauge is showing low preassure, and engine bay start to smell very bad.
Then it showed 120C degree engine tempearture.

When I put it to cold down, after 2 hours, it started and worked very well on idle. When I put it on D to start driving, whole hell go lose, and noise whas cranky and loud,then it shut down.

I towed car home, and dont have idea what is wrong.

anyone had this simptoms? (I hope not).

Thank you!

zaczg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

yea sounds like you overheated it and blew the motor, that or it has no oil or the oil pump failed. When you saw the low oil pressure rather than pull over you kept driving it. Either will blow your motor up. Gauges are there for a reason.
JeepFreak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

How does you neglecting to look at your temperature gauge make you not a "happy" Jeep owner?

Start looking for a new engine, or possibly a good rebuild shop.

*Edit* Yes, I've done this before, but it was in Iraq, in an M1151 getting away from SAF, and we were towed back.

You just bought yourself a new engine, or a tow truck bill to a scrapyard.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
zaczg
1996 ZJ 

Well thanks, so finding a V8 in Croatia is like finding a holy grail.

When I saw the temperature I put the car in idile to cold down, and yes I looked the gauges.

Thank you all. poor day for me I will find out more when my mechanic opens the engine.

But I give a chance to engine and seriously I think that oil pump failed big time.

I know when I see blowed engine.
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

Like i said gauges are there for a reason. I loot at my gauges every few seconds thats how you should do it. Not to mention the ZJ has a warning chime when any gauge dips below safe standards. The "check gauges" light comes on at the same time as the chime. Really cant get much of a better warning system than that.
JeepFreak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
zaczg
1996 ZJ 

Hi guys, this is the reason of death of my Jeep:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Luckly no damage was done to engine or transmission.

So I will order a new one from Rock parts and also chage the oils and engine gasket.

After all, V8 is a very strong engine.

Thank you all for helping me

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.