Jeep zj lift - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep zj lift

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Okay, I'm sorry I'm a little new to this.

If I got a 3.5" suspension lift costing around 450, coming with lifted coil springs, lower control arms, sway bar links and crossmember spacers for the front. The rear would come with lower control arms and track bar brackets. The front coils are used to lift the rear apparently. Would this work? What about extending my brake lines and/or a shaky driveshaft?

ryanfuscozj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You don't need cross member spacers and you will need more parts than that. You will possibly need another 300-500 more in parts. Adjustable track bars, and adjustable control arms to set the pinion angles. Probably a u jointed front drive shaft too is you have a CV shaft. Those eventually break.

Rear coils in the back will work. You might need to add a spacer to level it out. Brake lines a should be long enough if you just unbolt the bracket and let them hang.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Not feeling like an extra 500 bucks, if I stuck to that 2" budget boost would I have to buy new shocks?
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #19
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If you wanted to wheel it you would. The extra height will cause the stock length shocks to ride harsh and over extend them off road. They will wear out faster and possibly come apart off road. There is no telling how long they will last. You could just use them until they break.
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
lifting these things is not cheap. never has been; never will be.
it can be cheap, but it will ride like a dump truck and be unsafe as hell

dont cheap out on lift, do it right the first time or you will spend a bunch more down the line fixing it.
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #21
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

What size tire could I fit on stock rim with a 3"?
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #22
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

31s maybe 32s if you trim and add a wheel spacer, backspace kills once you get past 31's

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #23
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

If you are really wanting on the cheap and good parts I would check out the classified section. I've seen people give away budget boost parts after they step up to a bigger lift. Just be patient you thank yourself in the long run.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #24
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Well her width of my rim is 15"x7", and I wanted to keep the stock one I painted them myself. So with that width what would be the widest I could go?
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #25
srieger
1995 ZJ 

If you do the 2" BB lift widest you can go on a stock rim would be 31x10.5x15. Any wider on stock rim and you'll rub on your control arms when you turn. Do yourself a favor and don't go cheap. The cheaper you go now, the more you'll shell out next month replacing and fixing parts your cheap lift prematurely wore out or cracked. And you don't want to risk a suspension or steering component breaking or coming apart at 65 mph. Research what each size lift is going to require to ride correctly than decide on how big you want to go. Tire size should be the last thing your thinking about. But it seems with your budget you won't be going over 31's. Best thing to do is the read through others build threads. Read what they upgraded and kits they bought, you'll get a good idea for what people spent. I just bought a iro lift, that's a very good place to start. Tons of people run their kits with no complaints. Another thing to do, check the reviews section here. Read up on parts your thinking about ordering to see how they held up before you make someone else's mistake. Last but not least, I just went from a 2" BB to a full 3.5 from iro, not including the exhaust I bought, I spent about 750 just upgrading the shock and a rear adjustable track bar. Control arms are next. All in all, stop thinking couple hundred and be more realistic. To upgrade everything you'll need to correctly, one time and not 2, start thinking atleast a grand. Remember it's your dd, it's gonna suck when your cheap kit breaks and your waiting on new parts to fix something you could have prevented.
srieger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #26
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Thanks so much. I'm just going to do the 2" BB with 31x10.5.
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #27
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfuscozj View Post
Well her width of my rim is 15"x7", and I wanted to keep the stock one I painted them myself. So with that width what would be the widest I could go?
I ran 33x12.50's on stock teardrop 95 limited rims. Those were 15x7. an 8" rim is as wide as you need.
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #28
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Man y'all tore into this guy. least he's got the idea down now

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #29
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Are the 95 limited rims the same size as a 96 Laredo's?
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #30
ZJOFFROAD93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post
the thing about lift kits... you may see these small prices on the kit that are well below what people here tend to say... because the kit generally includes just enough components to make the jeep sit taller... driving with the lift is another story

usually all manner of little things that add up quickly and turn a $560 kit into a $1000+ job
Im over $1000 i paid about $500 for mine
ZJOFFROAD93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jeep , lift , rims , tires , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.