Jeep ZJ ABS Light on, ABS not functional - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep ZJ ABS Light on, ABS not functional

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 11-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep ZJ ABS Light on, ABS not functional

Hey everybody, this is my first Jeep so Im still getting used to it. The ABS light is on and somebody told me if the light was on the system was off. Sure enough I went into a parking lot, layed on the brakes, and the wheels just locked up, no ABS. Where should I look/what should I do first to get it working again?

Its a 97 Grand Cherokee 4wd, 4L Straight 6

Im a big carhead so I dont mind taking parts of it apart, heck, thats why we buy jeeps right?

Last edited by compcrasher86; 11-14-2008 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Fixing info
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Hey everybody, this is my first Jeep so Im still getting used to it. The ABS light is on and somebody told me if the light was on the system was off. Sure enough I went into a parking lot, layed on the brakes, and the wheels just locked up, no ABS. Where should I look/what should I do first to get it working again?

Its a 97 Grand Cherokee 4wd, 4L Straight 6

Im a big carhead so I dont mind taking parts of it apart, heck, thats why we buy jeeps right?
I would start by checking the fuses, and checking the wheel speed sensors. maybe one of the sensors wiggles loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
dxmedia
1996 ZJ 

Take a resistance reading from each sensor on the wheels, the odd one out will need replacing. If they are all the same then it's going to be a broken wire / or a faulty abs ECU.

My money is on either one of the front wires being broken with someone taking off the hub and pulling the wire or a faluty sensor.

I've not had a good look at a jeep, so talking about cars in general.
dxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I checked three fuses, two were big maxi fuses next to the battery (ABS Valve and ABS Pump) and the third was a small maxi fuse in the passenger side under dash. All of them were intact and good. Its too dark/Late to be taking off tires tonight so Im going to have to wait until tomorrow to do that
Unread 11-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

Recheck the small fuse in the passenger side again. I had the same problem and all the fuses were good. Cleaned the contact posts on the fuse and it has worked great for years now.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

jabsther I wish it was that easy. I checked the fuse, scraped the posts down a little bit (they were quite dirty!) and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner. Put it back, turned the key, crossed my fingers. and the light still stayed on. Guess Im checking the sensors tomorrow... can I get at them without taking the wheels off? it would probably make my day a fair amount easier.
Unread 11-14-2008, 11:57 PM   #7
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
jabsther I wish it was that easy. I checked the fuse, scraped the posts down a little bit (they were quite dirty!) and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner. Put it back, turned the key, crossed my fingers. and the light still stayed on. Guess Im checking the sensors tomorrow... can I get at them without taking the wheels off? it would probably make my day a fair amount easier.
yes. If you look behind the brake, there is a tone ring ( a ring with lots of teeth on it). By this ring there should be a black plastic thing and this is the sensor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 06:24 AM   #8
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

The first thing I would do , is disconnect the ABS from it`s control module on the d/s fender well . Check for ANY corrosion , the , on the female side , using a small pointed screw driver , close each inlet so the male end gets a better connection , there`s a few . Use some dielctric grease and snap it back together .
This worked for a friend after he was quoted $2500 for the repairs , no problems for a yr now . Oh , btw , he had a 97 like yours !
Cost was ZERO , if you have the grease , so worth trying
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yes I have the grease and boy oh boy is there some corrosion spots around the engine, (grandma liked to drive her through big big puddles) so I wouldnt doubt it hitting the abs controller. Last nigh I disconnected the ABS Sensor cables under the rear seat in the car and tested the OHM between the two wires. (That theoretically should work right?) Anyways, both were reading around 9,000OHM (Im using my new digital one today) so I assume those two are fine?
Unread 11-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Okay Im still having troubles finding the control unit. My buddy tells me that the 1997-1998 dont use an ECU, but in fact a Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) mounted near the CAB or something. I still dont see it.....
Unread 11-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

he`s right , it`s called a HCU , an all in one unit . It`s got to be all in the same area , d/s fender/firewall area . Still looking till someone chimes in
Unread 11-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #12
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Remove neg battery terminal
remove air cleaner assembly
remove windsheild washer bottle

this should give you access to the HCU plug in
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, I think I found it, There were two plugs going into it, one with many wires and contacts, and then one with two thicker wires that appeared to power what looks like the pump. I cleaned it (wasnt really dirty to start with but whatever) and plugged the connnector back in, and tried turning the key... no luck.

I also traced the wires from the front speed sensors up into the engine compartment and I found little connectors inline, where I was able to measure the resistance. So with my new digital multimeter, heres the readings I am getting. FL=1,077; FR=1,070; RL=1,049; RR=1,063. They all seem fairly close so I am guessing the speed sensors are not the problem, unless they all are failed and I have trouble beleiving that.

Also, now that I know where the ABS controller/Pump is, I was able to listen to it. I had my brother turn the key to "On" and I listened. From that area, (pretty sure it was coming from the pump), I heard a faint buzzing sound for a second. Then it stopped, clicked a couple times, and then nothing.

Heres a photobucket album of today's work: http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f8.../Fixing%20ABS/

I wish I could post img tags but I cant yet, have to wait till 25 posts, sorry
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

I know it probably would not be free but why not just have someone check the abs codes and forget the random checking?

I wonder what the dealer would charge for the diagnostic

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

you should also know that tha ABS WILL NOT CLEAR MEMORY by disco`ing the battery , but will after 50 starts or cleared by a code reader , most likely a dealer job .

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.