jeep wont start: windows down stuck outside...explanation inside - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > jeep wont start: windows down stuck outside...explanation inside

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
jrollings
1995 ZJ 

jeep wont start: windows down stuck outside...explanation inside

Hi everyone. I borrowed my sister in-laws 94 ZJ today. I left her house to go to Lowe's and the windows worked great and the jeep started just fine. Came back out from Lowe's and drove home. When I got home I tried to roll the windows up with no luck (power everything) and then shut the jeep off to run inside. Came back out to put the jeep in the garage to find the jeep wont start and the anti-theft system is activated. The key wont turn to start the jeep yet will turn backwards towards me to allow the accessories to work yet the windows wont roll up, the jeep still wont start and the lights blink with the red security light and horn sounds. I only have the one key being she is on vacation in Minnesota and Im still at home in Indiana. (she took her other keys for some reason) Everytime I go turn hit the unlock button or turn the key in the door to the unlock position to disarm the anti-theft system the horn sounds. Can anyone help me out here ? I really dont want the jeep stuck outside with the windows down in the middle of the driveway. I tried to search but came up with bad ignition switch. I also tried tapping the ignition key into the cylinder with no luck turning the jeep on.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Member of the 638th ASB out of Lafayette, IN
91B All wheeled vehicle mechanic
88M Motor Transport Operator
jrollings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Use a key in the door lock to manually disable the alarm. You may have to use the passenger door, lots of trucks have a busted switch in the driver's door.

Then, put it in park extra hard.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
jrollings
1995 ZJ 

Thank you for the input but no luck Foundrydude. I tried passenger door, the rear hatch and the driver's door. When I unlock any door the horn sounds. Any other ideas ?
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

I would pull the dang relay for the horn while your trying to figure this out.... Makes your head hurt alot less. lol
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

do a search for disabling alarm. you just pop the driver side door panel and short two wires. it will let you get around until you can get to the bottom of the issue.
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[size="1"][I]R.I.P. 2000 TJ[/I][/size]
[size="1"][I]R.I.P. '95 YJ[/I][/size]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
jrollings
1995 ZJ 

I tried disabling the alarm lastnight with no luck. I took the door panel off and found the purple wire with a yellow tracer, jumped the black and purple wire and when I did that the horn would sound again. Also the security light and headlights would flash with the key in the accessory position.
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollings View Post
I tried disabling the alarm lastnight with no luck. I took the door panel off and found the purple wire with a yellow tracer, jumped the black and purple wire and when I did that the horn would sound again. Also the security light and headlights would flash with the key in the accessory position.
did you use the cut and ground method or the wire jumper in the plug method? it you did the jumper method maybe the wire you used is too big/small to get in the connector and make a connection?

if this is done right the alarm is completely bypassed and should be impossible to arm.
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[size="1"][I]R.I.P. 2000 TJ[/I][/size]
[size="1"][I]R.I.P. '95 YJ[/I][/size]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
jrollings
1995 ZJ 

alrighty I'll try it again when I get back home
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
jrollings
1995 ZJ 

tried jumpering the purple wire with the yellow tracer and black wire again to only have the same issue. It may not be making a solid connection but i may end up just cutting and grounding the purple with yellow tracer wire and see where it goes from there. If this doesnt work should I assume (yeah i know what assume means) that the ignition cylinder needs replaced ?
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
jrollings
1995 ZJ 

Ok I ended up cutting the purple and yellow wire to actually ground it and the anti-theft system so no more anti-theft mode. Jeep's ignition still only turns to the accessory mode and still wont start... any other ideas ?
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

wiggle the steering column while trying to turn the key forward to start.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

If the steering wheel has adjustable tilt steering, then tilt the steering wheel while trying to turn the key. Don't be a little red riding hood when tilting the steering wheel up and down either.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
jrollings
1995 ZJ 

I've tried wiggling the steering wheel while trying to turn the ignition cylinder forward with no luck. I did take the plastics off and unlock the steering column but still cant get the ignition to turn forward by forcefully tilting the steering wheel or wiggling it.
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
elf517
1998 ZJ 

hot wire it ironically they show you how to do it on a jeep steering colum video at the bottom
elf517 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
elf517
1998 ZJ 

www.wikihow.com/Hot-Wire-a-Car
elf517 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.