Jeep wont start. No sound/ignition at all! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep wont start. No sound/ignition at all!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-31-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
TB2hoed
1994 ZJ 

94 wont start. No sound/ignition at all!

I've come into a problem with the ignition on my 94 grand cherokee limited.

When I turn the key to start it-- it goes through the first 2 clicks and the radio and heater and windows begin to work but the starter makes no audible response at all. The key has ZERO resistance and just flops back and forth all in about half a circle from the Accessory spot. It doesn't start in Neutral or Park. The backup lights turn on in Reverse, I heard that rules out the neutral safety switch. I also cannot get the steering wheel to lock no matter how much I wiggle it.

I think the problem must be in the steering column or starter or a relay I'm unaware of. Can anybody tell me where to start?

Last edited by TB2hoed; 03-31-2014 at 03:33 PM..
TB2hoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like a bad switch maybe and the nss has two circuits in it,one for reverse and one for starting,so you could still have a bad nss
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
power
1994 ZJ 

I always check my starter solenoid and starter by tapping it with something (hammer) before I suspect ignition switch. If the solenoid is gone it usually wont make any sound and your steering wheel won't lock sometimes. If you tap it with a hammer a few times it may work and then you know it's a bad solenoid or stater motor (usually you can hear the solenoid clicking if the starter motor is gone). I just had similar problems to your description and started to swap relays to trace the problem and was about to look at the ignition switch when i remembered the solenoid on the starter. tapped it with a hammer and it started right up. I replaced the solenoid and starter motor while I was in there and have not had trouble since.

Note of caution when tapping around down there, use a rubber mallet or be careful not to contact the wires as it is easy to short the circuit with shocking results.
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #4
merc07
1998 ZJ 

im thinking its the ignition switch itself is broken internally I would check that first.
merc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:36 AM   #5
TB2hoed
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc07 View Post
im thinking its the ignition switch itself is broken internally I would check that first.
You were spot on!

I read so much about NSS and starter problems but the way the key felt I just knew it was something inside the steering column, there wasn't any signs of the starter doing any work and the 'non-springy looseness' was my biggest sign.

So I watched this video and luckily I had all the torx bits needed which is a #10 that needs to be at least 3 inches long and a #15 security tip torx.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reonxApWkVU

When I pulled out the key drum I saw that it had somehow worn out quite a bit, I'm unsure of how long its been wearing away.

So I called up AutoZone and they had the part I needed for $65
When installing everything I learned that putting it in too tight will not work, could be because of the new parts mixing with old parts or just a finicky set of screws. Anyway, the deed is done and I'm driving again!

http://upit.cc/i/9c1a478e.jpg
TB2hoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
merc07
1998 ZJ 

great! im glad you got it fixed!
merc07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.