Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep wont start!!!

8K views 83 replies 20 participants last post by  Virmagicus 
#1 · (Edited)
will this morning i went to turn the jeep on and it crank but does not start..

I have changed the Ignition coil,cap,rotor,camshaft sensor,wires,plugs,tried replacing the ASD relay and nothing. i have gas through the rails the gas pump primes when you open the key.

i am getting a error code 42 Fault in the ASD relay driver circuit. anyone know of what else to try?

Edit: it started up fine yesterday.. it has been raining for 5 days now if that makes a difference? maybe another sensor im missing?

I have spark and fuel. replaced the gas filter about 3 months ago.

#2 ·
try the pcm fuse or engine control, little 15amp up top near the left, even if it looks good, test it with a meter, or just replace it

#3 ·
Well i have been working on this for hours.. and nothing... cranks but no start...checked everything i can think of, checked the service manual troublshoothing tips.. anyone else have any suggestions?

Im thinking its something with the computer?

#4 ·
thats what i was thinking, because when i take the pcm fuse out it does that same thing, but if you got a code about the ASD, you could try bypassing the relay, if the circuit is bad it wont let a couple things like spark and injector pulse.
so i would just find the right pins and stick a jumper / paper clip and see if that works

#7 ·
have you tested the coil to cap wire?
but its a mechanical cap and rotor so if you have spark at the coil, it would have to be either the wire, or the cap and rotor, like theres no electronics to mess up at that point

#6 ·
i would check every single fuse. anything to do with starting the jeep, or keeping it running, replace. even if it doesn't look bad, replace it anyway. I once had my jeep just completely stall out during a trail once, out of nowhere. just lost everything. checked fuses under the hood, and they all looked fine, but once I used a test light, one of them were bad. I replaced it and it started right up

#10 ·
What year?? sounds like a problem I was having and it turns out to be the security system in the vehicle. Do you have a security light come on on the dash if you leave the key in the run position for about 30 seconds.

If so PM me and I'll tell you everything I did to get mine running again.

Hopefully we can get your working again before the security system disables your PCM completely.

Good luck.

BigD

#11 ·
Well since i couldnt get the jeep started i decided ehh.. why not get the truck i want and just use my jeep as a toy... i have been planning this forever and well here it is..lol 2005 F250 Diesel.

got a good deal on it so i said f it...now the fun begins with the jeep..no more DD :D

I still need to fix the jeep though.. so Big E i will go check on that as soon as the game is over..lol

thanks

#14 ·
yea its lifted about 5-6 " on 35's i dont really like the rims but oh well.. they will get changed soon... :laugh:

well i tried the security fix mentioned before and nothing that says security lights up... the check engine light comes on and starts blinking, and also the check gauges light is on..???

#16 ·
oh ok... well i just remembered that i have been having some weird electrical issues...on Thursday all my gauges went to 0 and my check gauges light came on for about 5 seconds then my rear lights keep blowing fuses.. man o man.. whats wrong with my jeep.

#17 ·
My 5.2 Dakota kept giving me problems starting. For a while it wouldn't act up. Then the other day it started doing it again. I kept hearing a click under the hood, and tracked it down to a faulty auto shutdown relay. :confused:

#20 ·
replaced it with one from oreily.. ae something.. what cam sensor?

check all your fuses, and when i say all, i mean ALL.

test your alternator. and is your battery holding a charge?
alternator and battery are fine.. i had a charger stuck to the battery since i was cranking it alot after the new parts were in.

#21 ·
If it's throwing code 42, you might have a blown fusible link to power module (SMEC)

A good fusible link will look like a large round rubber band. A blown fusible link will change color and bulge when it blows. If a white fusible link is located and is gray in color around the area which has blown. The link which powers the ASD relay is the one on the two link circuit. Don’t confuse this with the four or five link circuit. The link supplies power to the ASD relay as well as the voltage sense circuit for the logic module. If the link has failed, code 42 may also be accompanied by a code 16.

#26 ·
If it's throwing code 42, you might have a blown fusible link to power module (SMEC)

A good fusible link will look like a large round rubber band. A blown fusible link will change color and bulge when it blows. If a white fusible link is located and is gray in color around the area which has blown. The link which powers the ASD relay is the one on the two link circuit. Don't confuse this with the four or five link circuit. The link supplies power to the ASD relay as well as the voltage sense circuit for the logic module. If the link has failed, code 42 may also be accompanied by a code 16.
This sounds intresting...lol... where would i begin to look? tis kind of confused me.

#22 ·
check your security system.

Manually lock and unlock every door including the rear hatch.

try removing the relay for the security system. It's the relay closest to the center of the vehicle, and closest to the engine, underneath the glove compartment.

ZJ

#24 ·
check ur pcm.. easy to fix and cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.