Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep wont start

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  savethehumans 
#1 ·
Hey guys, im at a total loss here. I got out to my jeep tonight and tried to turn it on, but the key seemed to move freely past the start position. The lights and everything turn on in acc, and you can put the car to the on position, but the key turns freely after, like its not catching the start position. I managed to start the car once by chance, but after that, ive got no results. Any help?
I do not want to run this jeep to the mountains with out knowing it will start next time.

#3 ·
can you start it in neutral?

#4 ·
no, it will not start in park or neutral.

heres where im at with this now:
I removed the switch, thinking the key lock cylinder wasnt catching what it was supposed to. I was wrong, the switch itself is working properly, and the rods coming out the back turning correctly.
I think i have found the problem, but i dont know what it is. The rod that comes out of the back of the switch turns fine, but the sliding mechanism it is inserted into slides freely back and forth, i suspect this isnt supposed to be this way, however, im not even sure what this sliding piece does.
Any ideas guys?

ill post pics asap.

#6 ·
u say it moves freely with no hesitation in the ingnition switch? i know many jeeps have issues with neutral safety switch (mounted on tranny) more so on auto's then manual.....if it is an auto, next time it does it giggle it in neutral and try to start at same time..see if that does it....

#7 ·
the pictures posted is the mechanism that operates the cable which allows the shifter to operate when the brake pedal is depress.
shift brake inetrlock cable. there was a recall to have a revised cable & wiring installed. sounds like your problem lies within the ignition switch

#8 ·
i checked for continuity in all positions on the switch according to my haynes manual, everything there checks out, replaced the relay with a known good, no luck. with the key in run position, i can jump the pins on the starter solenoid and hear the starter motor clearly, but i dont think the drive gear is engaging.
i am at a total loss, and dont want to have to tow it to the mechanic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.