Jeep will turn over but wont start, just replaced fuel pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep will turn over but wont start, just replaced fuel pump

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
huntley1110

Jeep will turn over but wont start, just replaced fuel pump

so i should have came here before i went and spent money that i might not have had to... but.

ever since i got my jeep ive had to let it turn over 3-5 seconds to start it, and this weekend i got up to go to work and it wouldnt start.. let it set for 15 min and it took a bit but it started....

worked fine all weekend after that, then on monday it took a crap again and wouldnt start this time, i could still hear the pump continuesly buzzing before i turned it over

I just spent my whole night putting in a pump and its still doing the same thing. Im not much of a mechanic and i am stumped at this.

any help would be amazing guys. Thanks!

huntley1110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, any help WOULD be amazing ! Not trying to sound like a jerk; but PLEASE fill in your jeep profile, so we know what you have. It's very hard for us to help you, if we know nothing about your jeep, such as year, engine size etc
SAR-Swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

^^

Generic things you can check:
fuel filter
see if you have fuel pressure by pushing in the bleeder valve on your fuel rail
AaronButler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

If it's a 4.0, 3-5 seconds was normal for my old XJ to finally fire up, could be wrong if that's normal. But as ^^^ stated... Lots of people here to try and help.
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #5
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

3-5 seconds isnt really normal for my 97 4.0. It turns over maybe 3 times and starts almost immediately.

If the fuel pump is humming constantly, that's not normal. I'd first try swapping out the fuel pump relay with the horn relay in the PDC ( that the fuse box under the hood) If it's a 4 litre engine ( the 6 cyl), those relays in there are all the same on a 96, as I recall. If it doesnt help, then it's something else CAUSING that relay to stay engaged....subsequently...the fuel pump is still running. I'm sure some of the guys here will know what else to check if that's the case.
Or you could do a search for the topic.

Meanwhile, help us to help YOU, by filling out your Jeep info on your profile.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
huntley1110

**** im sorry guys. i wrote this at 12 last night after working all day and 6 hours of doing that pump. its a 1998 gc laredo 4.0
and yes is is constantly humming, so i guess i will try to switch the relays around and go from there
huntley1110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Aftermarket fuel pumps are usually of poor quality. Airtex, carter, and bosh (three main brands you'll find at autoparts stores) are terrible. Check your pressure at the fuel rail before going any further.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntley1110 View Post
**** im sorry guys. i wrote this at 12 last night after working all day and 6 hours of doing that pump. its a 1998 gc laredo 4.0
and yes is is constantly humming, so i guess i will try to switch the relays around and go from there
Any chance there's a jumper wire on the fuel pump relay? The PO decided to do that and it caused alot of my running rich issues. It still started fine, but once I removed jumper wire, it ran alot smoother.
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
Aftermarket fuel pumps are usually of poor quality. Airtex, carter, and bosh (three main brands you'll find at autoparts stores) are terrible. Check your pressure at the fuel rail before going any further.
Yes, fuel pressure should be the first test to do. But, Bosch is the OEM supplier ... the Bosch I put in had Chrysler/Mopar labels on it.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellis View Post
Yes, fuel pressure should be the first test to do. But, Bosch is the OEM supplier ... the Bosch I put in had Chrysler/Mopar labels on it.
Unless you bought it from the dealer it more than likely is not the same as a dealer part.

Bosch parts you buy in a place like Autozone or Advance Auto are much cheaper quality.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.