The "Jeep" Wave - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
CatAndTie
1996 ZJ 

The "Jeep" Wave

So we all are probably aware of "the Jeep wave" when Jeeps pass other Jeeps, the driver gives a little acknowledgment wave... But what is the deal with ZJs?? I got my ZJ about three years ago and probably for the first two years didn't notice any fellow jeepers waving, so I figured it was a Wrangler thing and didn't bother. But now everyone and their mom drive a wrangler so I don't even know if that is still a thing.

Anyway, just this past year though I started noticing some ZJs and XJs giving the wave but by the time it registered they passed and I felt like an ***. ? So I started initiating the wave for fellow lifted ZJs and sometimes XJs but they normally don't wave back probably because they are now in my former situation - can we all just get on the same page??!! ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 11:54 AM
xcaliber81
2004 WJ 

I don't have to anyone but when I drive my truck (commercial licence) almost everyone waves to me lol.

1 time I was in a drive through and another zj owner bought my coffee.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 12:18 PM
GOLDWING
1998 ZJ 

I just go with the index finger "farmer wave". I think that having someone wave back is not a big deal one way or the other. My ZJ does not look like most ZJs so I seem to get more waves from Jeepers that have also enhanced their Jeeps for off road or sadly, the MALL.

GW

2 '98 4.0 ZJs
Hers is stock, mine, OME shocks, BB, Aussie, 2x6 sliders, 31s, etc.

post #4 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeah, it can tend to be regional, but the best way to get other people to jeep wave is to jeep wave.

A lot of JK's won't or don't wave unless you're built, the older the jeep the more they tend to wave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 12:21 PM
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
When I hung out with my friend a couple weekends back, we took a road trip in his JKU down to a parts store. I saw way more waves driving in that JKU than I ever saw driving the ZJ. Every time he passed a wrangler, wave. And he'd always get one in return.

it probably helps his JKU has a custom painted front bumper, a Light bar, is set up to flash all lights at intervals for winter rescue, had all doors off and the top off, and a CB antenna.

Vs my ZJ, which without looking under hood looks bone stock, and pretty much is.

Looking Off road ready def helps I find

._________.ooooo.
/ŻŻŻ|ŻŻ|ŻŻ\ŻŻŻŻŻ\,____
L/ŻŻ\\__|__|"/ŻŻŻ\=llllll=\
_(Ż))===)).....(Ż))===))Ż
post #6 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 03:13 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

All jeeps built prior to '86 get a wave... post '86 only Wranglers (regardless) and built rigs... most true jeepers don't count XJ/ZJ/etc as "Jeeps"
In the Rockies, that is the concensus.
1980tallcj7 likes this.

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #7 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 03:46 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I don't wave at strangers unless it's an emergency.
kaspre and ROBOTYPHOON like this.
post #8 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 03:54 PM
RoysJeep

2004 WJ 

Garage
As a WJ owner, I can't help but agree. I've only gotten one wave from another jeep owner in the 2+ years of owning it. It was either ZJ or WJ but I can't remeber, and it didn't register until I past him.

My issue is, every time I go to do the wave, its either a "soccer mom" or a older person driving the jeep, so I assume that they wouldn't know the wave.

2004 WJ Laredo, 4.0, 197,xxx miles and counting, 3:55 gears, D30/D35c. Stock for now
post #9 of 27 Old 09-19-2017, 07:28 PM
ax1598ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Don't get a whole lot of waves around here, not as many modded ZJs as there was a couple years ago. Used to be like 5-10 around. Lots of XJs and wranglers.

I do recall another lifted red ZJ that pulled up behind me at a stop light, and followed me for a long time probably cause he heard me and saw me shifting with the straight pipe I had at the time.

I always like putting it in reverse backing out of Napa or work when wrangler guys are around. Get that straight cut grind on lol people think somethings broken. That's gets the wrangler guys attention.

1998 green ZJ 4.0L, ax15 trans and a vengeful PCM, 4.5" lift 33x10.5
post #10 of 27 Old 09-20-2017, 02:57 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
As long as your Jeep/ Toyota/ Land Rover/ Suzuki/ whatever 4x4 vehicle is somewhat built and looks like it gets to see trails, we get a wave here from fellow off-roaders
1980tallcj7 likes this.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #11 of 27 Old 09-20-2017, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
CatAndTie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
As long as your Jeep/ Toyota/ Land Rover/ Suzuki/ whatever 4x4 vehicle is somewhat built and looks like it gets to see trails, we get a wave here from fellow off-roaders
I've taken this philosophy but only for built XJs and ZJs, which aren't a ton around me, so it's manageable.
post #12 of 27 Old 09-20-2017, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
CatAndTie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderWalker View Post
When I hung out with my friend a couple weekends back, we took a road trip in his JKU down to a parts store. I saw way more waves driving in that JKU than I ever saw driving the ZJ. Every time he passed a wrangler, wave. And he'd always get one in return.

it probably helps his JKU has a custom painted front bumper, a Light bar, is set up to flash all lights at intervals for winter rescue, had all doors off and the top off, and a CB antenna.

Vs my ZJ, which without looking under hood looks bone stock, and pretty much is.

Looking Off road ready def helps I find
Yeah, my buddy used to have a TJ and every single Wrangler would wave to him. He doesn't have it anymore but I wonder if it would still be the same now that there has been an explosion in my area of Wranglers. My guess is no because it seems like a bunch of soccer moms.
post #13 of 27 Old 09-20-2017, 06:28 AM
rdhwk2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Yeah, it can tend to be regional, but the best way to get other people to jeep wave is to jeep wave.

A lot of JK's won't or don't wave unless you're built, the older the jeep the more they tend to wave.
It's regional for sure. In the Midwest it's only wranglers I've never seen a xj wave.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-20-2017, 07:38 AM
Boone96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Here in the High Country of NC, plenty of lifted Jeeps. I only wave to lifted XJ/ZJ/WJ/WK because they wave back. JK's are ****** bags that never wave back but I see them wave to each other. Typical. Ok Rant over.
1980tallcj7 likes this.

96 5.2 242 3" 32x11.5
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1996-grand-cherokee-laredo-5-2-a-2570290/
post #15 of 27 Old 09-20-2017, 07:47 PM
JonMopar

Having driven Wranglers in the past, and now a ZJ, this is what I've noticed. New JKUs (especially fancier stock ones) dont wave. Most of those are dentists and soccer moms who just keep their car 3yrs then trade. Lifted up/modded JKs wave more often than not. TJ guys mostly wave, except for very few...practically all modded TJ and all YJ guys do.

XJ guys (modded) tend to wave if you wave. Especially older ones. Zj guys occasionally do, if it's someone thats into them. You can tell when someone's into them either by mods or condition. Someone that bought a xj/zj for $1k as a beater isnt usually "into them " .

I sometimes get waves in my ZJ, not often but it does happen, and typically from older jeeps. The level of dedication increases with the age of the jeep. I do however have many people stop to ask me about my ZJ, because its pretty clean. If they can tell you spend time on your jeep, stock or not, often they show some love. My take on it

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.