Jeep wandering, darting, all over the road? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep wandering, darting, all over the road?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Jeep wandering, darting, all over the road?

If you are having this issue with the Jeep having wandering steering control, darting all over the road, moving around when you accelerate or decelerate, tending to follow ridges in the pavement, and you have done all of the things necessary to the front end and steering to correct it and it is still a problem, then I urge you to check your rear control arms and bushings.

I built my own control arms, uppers and lowers, over the weekend and installed new bushings and I cannot tell you what a difference this has made in the way my Jeep rolls.

Nearly 99% of my wandering and darting issues have disappeared.

All of the clunks and bumps I used to hear are gone. No more "thunk" when I put it in drive or reverse. No "pop" when I go over a bump.

It used to almost swap lanes when I let off the throttle to coast and then got back on the gas to accelerate. I thought it was my lockers but it wasn't. It was trashed rear control arm bushings.

control_arms_painted2.jpg   upper_control_arms_painted.jpg   upper_control_arms_finished.jpg   rear_control_arms_mounted.jpg  
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

Damn those look beefy how much did it cost to make them?
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilive4cars0122 View Post
Damn those look beefy how much did it cost to make them?
I got some cut off scrap from a friend who owns a welding/machine shop so the steel only cost me $20.00. That twenty bucks bought three feet of 1" x 3" rectangular tubing, three feet of 1.5" x 1.5" square tubing and three feet of 3/8" flat bar.

The bushings and sleeves, from Iron Rock Off Road, cost me about $80 I guess (?).

The rest of the cost is whatever little bit of argon gas, tig filler rod and miscellaneous cutting discs and wheels I used up.

I would estimate I have about $130 cost in them not counting any of my labor time and the cost of a tubing notcher which was about $70. The notcher came from Eastwood and is a piece of crap. It broke on the first tube and I ended up using my angle grinder after all.

Now that all of the tooling and other stuff have been purchased the next set would cost a little less.
Unread 03-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

So they got rid of the giant clunk when u put it in reverse, and now prevent the jeep was following cracks in the pavement as well?
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
RedRocket1994
1994 ZJ 

Hey, nice control arms, great job. But seriously, you went the right way with those bushings. I can't tell you the work I had to put in to my bushings on my Full Traction lift kit. The sleeves were basically rolled sheet metal, and yours look just like factory sleeves/bushings. I haven't been able to find anything like those anywhere, even on IRO (maybe I missed them?). Could you maybe PM me with the IRO part #? If it's not too much trouble, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

--Will

Remember: Every time you call a Jeep a "car", God kills a kitten.

[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #657[/COLOR]
RedRocket1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
david4127

Those are nice do the make them for stock replacement control arms
david4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
david4127

My bad didn't even notice you mde them I was blinded by how nice they are
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
david4127

If you are going to start selling these let me know I will buy a set for front and rear
Unread 03-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilive4cars0122 View Post
So they got rid of the giant clunk when u put it in reverse, and now prevent the jeep was following cracks in the pavement as well?
Mine wasn't "giant clunk" like a bad u-joint makes. Just a pop sometimes when I started to back up. It was the slack in the bushings on the upper. As I said in the first post, almost all of the steering and driving issues I had are now gone. The only thing I notice now is a little bit of a tendency to follow a ridge or crater in the pavement and that is because I have not yet finished mounting my front anti-sway bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket1994 View Post
Hey, nice control arms, great job. But seriously, you went the right way with those bushings. I can't tell you the work I had to put in to my bushings on my Full Traction lift kit. The sleeves were basically rolled sheet metal, and yours look just like factory sleeves/bushings. I haven't been able to find anything like those anywhere, even on IRO (maybe I missed them?). Could you maybe PM me with the IRO part #? If it's not too much trouble, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

--Will
I like factory Clevite rubber bushings. I hate poly and I am not a fan of Johnny joints for street driven Jeeps.

Here is the IRO page with all of their sleeves and bushings. Bushings can also be purchased at any auto parts store. They are universal to all the Jeeps control arms up to the newer models anyway.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...tegory_Code=UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by david4127 View Post
Those are nice do they make them for stock replacement control arms?
If you mean the bushings, then yes. They are just factory style rubber Clevite bushings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david4127 View Post
If you are going to start selling these let me know I will buy a set for front and rear
I would sell them but I have a regular job and would take a couple weeks to get them done. Also, they are heavy and would be a shipping charge. I also do not stock the material so that would have to be purchased.

I don't need another set so I would have to get payment up front just in case you decided you didn't want them.

I also would have to have your measurements for length so the pinion angles are correct. Since these are fixed (not adjustable) the upper measurement is made after the lowers are installed.

So basically you would need to mount the lowers, send me the measurement for the uppers and wait on them to come to you.
Unread 03-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket1994 View Post

--Will
advance Auto was able to get the clevtite bushings for me like 4$ each I'll get the part# this evening best part no shipping charge
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Just a quick update. After the new arms were installed out back I still had a wandering issue. It has been solved by replacing the steering gear box.

These rear arms have held up great. Time to do the front long arm though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.