jeep tends to get stuck in 4wd also feels lacking in power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > jeep tends to get stuck in 4wd also feels lacking in power

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
JeepDaddy1993
1996 XJ Cherokee 

jeep tends to get stuck in 4wd also feels lacking in power

Lately everytime i use my 4wd and i go to put it back in 2wd it gets stuck in 4wd. I reverse it, i Shut it off and run it back through each setting. I get underneath and i check my linkage and its all as it should be. I turn it back on and still in 4. Its a massive inconvenience to have to fight my jeep to get it to disengage... Any ideas? Also i have a buddy same lift, gears, engine and all. And yet his jeep walks on mine. It feel like its missing alot of power to me. Any ideas its a 1996 4.0 with a 242

JeepDaddy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 02:56 AM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

As far as the 4wd issue, get used to it. Mine has done the same thing since I bought it. Nine out of ten times I have to drive in reverse 30 feet or so after switching back to 2wd. It's the nature of an old 242.

Only thing that would really make a difference between two identical ZJ's are tires. Upgrade the exhaust/ignition and keep all the fluids fresh. Not much else you can to do a 4.0L other than engine modifications besides an injector swap and going to an E-fan setup.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
JeepDaddy1993
1996 XJ Cherokee 

he was running 31s I was running a set of 245/70/15s at the time much smaller tire and yet from a roll or a stop his jeep had better pick up and felt all around stronger than mine with the same gears. I don't get it honestly lol and yea im just confused because my v8 with a 249 didn't have that problem so im not used to it I guess lol figured maybe something was wrong with my T case
JeepDaddy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Can't help you there. Other then mileage difference maybe he has 3.73 and you have 3.55 gears.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
pageman
1995 ZJ 

Well mabye a front lunch box can get ya back or past the good ol v8 day
pageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Seems to be typical on my Jeep. To go to 4WD (Full Time) I drive in a straight line going through Part to Full. Then to go back to 2WD what I do is drive in a straight line moving from Full to Part to 2WD then accel, let off, accel, let off, accel, let off, then somewhere in all that I'll hear a click/feel a click through the 4WD lever and know I'm good.
If I don't get that click then the slightest turn, I mean the slightest, it's tires squealing and chirping, steering wheel being yanked out of my hands, kinda almost feels like I'm riding a bull and it really wants me off, since some days it will make the suspension arch up like a pissed off cat. I dunno if this is normal but if it's not it's out of my budget so I stay away from it.
herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Linkage adjustment or you possibly dropped one of the tabs on the end of the shifter fork in the case change the fluid and see if little plastic pieces come out

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.