Jeep Stalling ISSUE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Stalling ISSUE

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 11-22-2002, 12:29 PM   #1
JeepFreakCT

Jeep Stalling ISSUE (this is a TECH QUESTION)

Please don't reply if you don't know what your talking about

Need some help here....I'm not the best in the world with cars, more a computer person, but here is the issue. What would make my baby, stall in the morning when its coming out of the garage. I mean its not like all the power goes off or nething, all I see is that the RMPs drop to 0 and the engine baically dies on me. All I have to do is turn the key and give it some gas and off I go, sometimes I will have to repeat this a few time in the morning to get going. What could be the issue here....I use Fuel injection cleaners in my gas...other then that I don't know what else I could do to prevent it from cutting out on me.......please help if something know anything. Its a 97 Grand Ch Jeep V8 with about 85k on her.

Canadian Till the end

Last edited by JeepFreakCT; 11-22-2002 at 01:53 PM..
JeepFreakCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2002, 05:27 PM   #2
gcl97

It could be the O2 Sensor .... with 85K on the vehicle, I'll replace it anyway.

Did you do the tune-up stuff, clean throttle body, fuel injectors, spark plugs, distributor cap & rotar, air filter, etc.?

Is the CHECK ENGINE light on?
gcl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2002, 02:48 PM   #3
JeepFreakCT

the O2 sensor has been replaced after I knocked it off...long story..and I have never missed a tune up on my car yet..and no the check engine light isn't on.

Canadian Till the end
JeepFreakCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2002, 10:27 PM   #4
FHWilliams

I have the same STALLING problem with my '96 Grand Cherokee. The only difference is it sometimes quits running when decelarating to a stop after it gets going. It seems to go for days with no problem, then two or three days in a row will not stay at idle.

I just had a full tune up with O2 and MAP sensors replaced not more than 60 days ago. No engine light on or anything.

I'm running Shell 92+ octane and have put in two bottles of fuel system & injector cleaner in the last 4 fill-ups.

The one thing I think I'm noticing is that it does it when the fuel tank is below 1/2 to 1/4 of a tank.

I'm wondering if the pump is maintaining proper pressure in the fuel rail or if I'm having fuel pick-up problems.

Any ideas?
FHWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2002, 02:00 PM   #5
Hank

If it's cold out, that could definitely do it. Has it been cold where you are? Cold weather will do just that to alot of cars.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2002, 06:32 PM   #6
FHWilliams

Yes, it's cold, but not abnormally so here in Ohio, US. Weather didn't seem to matter whether or not it was 60 or 30F.

I was thinking of installing a crank angle sensor, but wound up fixing the "stalling" problem by selling the Grand Cherokee and getting a Lincoln Navigator.

I also have a '97 TJ and wouldn't suggest mounting tow hooks on the bumper. I'd think they need to be bolted to the underside of the front frame rails.
FHWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.