Jeep Stalling. I may have found another culprit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Stalling. I may have found another culprit

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 11-11-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Jeep Stalling. I may have found another culprit

Yes... by golly, I may have located another one. In fact, I know I have done so. My Jeep has been doing very well for 1218 miles since I installed my 5th PCM. and new NTK o2 sensors. I was feeling....well....almost normal again.

Backstory:
If you'll recall, while I was tracking down my latest stalling issue, I posted something about noticing a slight change in the idle RPMs when I wiggled the wiring near the TPS and IAC. I wiggled and wiggled for days...trying to isolate the single wire)s). It would only make a difference about 15% of the time...but it was a marked difference in RPMs. They would increase at idle.

I hunted and hunted.....cleaning the TPS and IAC connectors, removing the heat wrap and sniffing around like a coon dog, as Zeejay once put it. No concrete results. So I replaced the O2 sensors and the PCM...and all was well. For exactly 1218 miles. Then it happened. I started it and it died.

It happened a few days later too. Then it happened at 50 mph with my foot off the throttle.

Yesterday, I wiggled the wires right where they exited the IAC connector. Boom ! Immediate increase in RPMs.
It did it twice....in the very same place. My theory is that the IAC signal is telling lies to the PCM once in a while.

So I'm going to:
1: Buy a brand new IAC from the dealer....AND
2. Take a pair of diagonal wire cutters to the junk yard and clip every freaking connector from every 97-98 ZJ I can find, leaving as much wire attached as I can. Then I'm breaking out my soldering iron, some heat shrink tubing and a beer to swap out the one on my IAC.

So for you guys that havent tried this one....it's worth taking a look. It wont do it each time....but it's enough to tell me that it needs repairing.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:39 AM   #2
shaban
1996 ZJ 

How 'bout the new crankshaft angle sensor, Mopar brand?
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I believe you have a gremlin treed. climb up in there amongst it and shake it out so the dawgs can kill it.

knock him out frog
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

I had a stalling problem that was similar to yours, expect mine was the map wires. Could wiggle and change things. Upon removing insulation noticed wires insulation where stuck together. Went to separate, by hand, and ripped one in half. The wire had rusted away inside the insulation. Replace that section, been going since.
jnowak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaban View Post
How 'bout the new crankshaft angle sensor, Mopar brand?
Did you even READ the post?
Not even close, dude.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
chalkboard
1997 ZJ 

Exorcise that demon Frog. Hope you got'em this time!!
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Oldfrog, I've actually read your message and I think you could be chasing the red herring here. Even though wiggling the IAC connector does make the RPM change, if your CKP sensor is playing up could still be stalling because of that.

Have you replaced your CKP, ever? At least with a junkyard unit, as long as it's mopar.

Or maybe you could elaborate a bit about your stalling. If it only stalls in idle, that COULD be IAC/TPS, otherwise I'd say it's CKP.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Some NEW pigtailed connectors are available on the Mopar repair connector website. Just sayin Don't know if IAC is one of them. Cajun gremlin, ummmmm, do you boil them or fry em' ?

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.