Jeep sometimes doesnt want to start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep sometimes doesnt want to start

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Jeep sometimes doesnt want to start

It happend once before and I dont know whats wrong. Today I drove to 4wheeling parts, drove back home, drove to the park and drove to get something to eat. Then I come back and then BAM car would want to start. My dad got the jeep before by pressing the gas and as well as move back and forth the shifter(wat ever you call it) But today was different, I did the same thing and then BAM car started to die, lights were blinking, high beams were on and the security light was on. So I called my dad to come help me and same thing happend with him and we had to have my jeep hooked up to the van to try and get it started. My dad tried to start it twice in a row and BAM the jeep honked. I been surfing the web to find out whats wrong but no one had the solution. One save fuel pump, other said fuel pump relay, spark plugs, distributo cap and rotor, sparkplug wires and the wires from the drivers side wires..................Anyone have the solution??

ninjastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

You need to go through all the main power from the battery and alternator. Take everything apart and clean it. Posts, cables, fender ground, engine block grounds, connection at power box, everything. Be sure your main cables are not corroded under the jacket. Check all main fuses for corroded posts.

Edit: you could have a bad switch too.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Battery or connection problem maybe.

read the below thread and look for my(phitmein) post on it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/e...-down-1263512/
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I see you beat me to it ZeeJay and I am gad to see that we are on the same page here.

OP do you know the key trick for the security reset thingy ???
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
You need to go through all the main power from the battery and alternator. Take everything apart and clean it. Posts, cables, fender ground, engine block grounds, connection at power box, everything. Be sure your main cables are not corroded under the jacket. Check all main fuses for corroded posts.

Edit: you could have a bad switch too.
What switches should I look at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Battery or connection problem maybe.

read the below thread and look for my(phitmein) post on it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/e...-down-1263512/

Ill check that as well......But for the terminals, if theirs not enough slack, how do I put on new terminals??

Any other Ideas?? Plz help me............It was a good day I got everyproblem fixed on my car from loose doors, to window lock problem to even the littlest problem. Then this happend and then I almost fried my high performance computer but almost spilling soda on it.
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
I see you beat me to it ZeeJay and I am gad to see that we are on the same page here.

OP do you know the key trick for the security reset thingy ???
Un plug negative battery or you mean the rear hatch??
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastar View Post
What switches should I look at?
ignition switch
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
ignition switch
How would I check that??
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

just clean the terminals that you have now unless the are in real bad shape.

If the battery was interruped by a bad conn. or if you take a terminal off the lights will flash and it will cut off after running for about 3 seconds after you reconnect the battery again.

To reset the security just lock, unlock,lock and unlock again one of the doors or the hatchback.

It can be done with the key fob too but I just use the ign. key.
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

clean your terminal first before you start worring about other problems like the Ign.

" clean both battery terminals, both where they connect to the battery and where the wires go into the terminals "
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Checked my fues in both underthe hood and on the one on the passanger side and everything seems good. But how would I check those square fues, the ones located under the hood.

As for the battery I think Im good cause when I open lock open the rear hatch my capacitor comes on for my amp, but I did a check anyways and everything looks good but I still want to replace the terminals to gold plated ones for better connection for my jeep and as well as my subs. And how would I approch putting on new terminals if I have no slack.

And as my hunt for my problem begins and fuses are checked and good, battery is good, what else should I check and how do I go about checking the ignition switch?? Also the jeep started up fine 4 times in a row, I love my baby but man is she driving me. What else can it be??
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Anyone???

Unread 09-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
melk
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastar
My dad got the jeep before by pressing the gas and as well as move back and forth the shifter(wat ever you call it)
NSS neutral safety switch.

Also, does it crank when you turn the key? Or no response at all? Have you ruled out the Crankshaft Position Sensor?

edit to add, those terminals look as rough as mine do! One more thing I need to replace.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
NSS neutral safety switch.

Also, does it crank when you turn the key? Or no response at all? Have you ruled out the Crankshaft Position Sensor?

edit to add, those terminals look as rough as mine do! One more thing I need to replace.

whats nss and it does crank, revs up and then dies
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #15
ninjastar
1993 ZJ 

Anyone, it happend again but it started up on the 4th try, thank god. Also heres another problem my car dies some times when left alone for a while, because my vic's time changes and it blinks because it died.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.