Jeep shuts off when turning or when hot - need your advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep shuts off when turning or when hot - need your advice

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 02-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
jdc123
1998 ZJ 

Jeep shuts off when turning or when hot - need your advice

A few months ago I was driving my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2x4 to run errands less than 3 miles from my home. When I returned from my errand, all of the coolant completely leaked out in the parking lot. I tried ever so slowly to make it back home but there was a faint ticking sound that became increasingly louder. When I turned into a gas station, the engine shut down completely and I could not turn the steering wheel at all. I let it cool down and attempted again to make it home and the clicking sounds returned and became louder and louder. The engine eventually shut off at every turn I made even after letting it cool for a bit. It was scary because I didn't want to hit anyone.

I don't know anything about how to fix vehicles. Do you have any ideas what the problems would be (as it is problem several) and can someone provide an guesstimate on how much this would be to fix? I borrowed a friends diagnostic tool but the code was ambiguous - check engine. If the cost to repair it is more than $1500 I'd like to consider selling it (if I can get anything, if at all for it) because it is an older vehicle. The vehicle has not been used since then and has been sitting in my driveway for the past several months. I hate to continue paying insurance if I'm not using it.

Thanks for your help,

Josie

jdc123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Barricade643
1999 WJ 

Do you recall the error code Number? I've never heard of just a "check engine" code, there has to be something else. Most codes will begin with Pxxx Best case its the water pump that went... worst case is a cracked head or engine block. Water pump is pretty straight forward repair wise, the head is easy enough too, but if the block is cracked, you could always hit up the local junk yards. My advise if you don't know how to fix a vehicle, buy a Haynes or Chilton repair manual, grab some tools and go learn. It will save you TONS of money in the long run my friend. Here is a list of odbii trouble codes once you get it scanned again http://www.troublecodes.net/chrysler/95-98truck.shtml. Hope this helps some
Barricade643 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I would check the fuel pump too. My old ZJ used to stall around turns when the pump was going out.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.