Jeep Shuts off after starting, then won't start back - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Shuts off after starting, then won't start back

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 02-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
jacobj86
1997 ZJ 

Jeep Shuts off after starting, then won't start back

I have been having an issue with my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a few months now. It is a straight 6 cylinder 4.0 liter 4x4.

It started out as a very sporadic problem but has grown worse. After I start the jeep within 10 seconds or so it will just shut off. There are no signs its going to shut off, it just dies. In conjunction with this I can not always get it to start back right away, it will take several attemps before it will start again. Everything sounds normal when I'm trying to start it, it just won't kick on. Also, after I have got it running and begin driving it will sometimes sputter and then die again.

I have tried changing the distributor cap, and the ignition coil, but I do not know what else could be the problem. However, I do not have a large amount of knowledge when it comes to working on vehicles, but I can usually can replace things on my own when I know what needs to be replaced.

It has been to the mechanic a couple of times and they could not give me an answer. I also tried the dealership and they told me it was the ignition coil, which as I mentioned I changed but this did no good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jacobj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
kreso
2010 WK 

Fuel pump may be?
kreso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

No check engine light? Are there any codes stored at all? It's a long shot, but I had the exact same symptoms on my GTP (except I got a SES light) and it turned out to be the MAF.

I definitely suggest having the fuel pressure tested if you have already replaced the coil, etc.
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
jacobj86
1997 ZJ 

The check engine light is not on, and I have tried the ignition on-off-on-off-on-off-on thing to see if any codes come up, and the only one that displays is 43 which if I am correct is a cylinder misfire? I checked for codes last week and that one came on and I replaced all of the spark plugs and the wires.
Unread 02-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Yeah, I'd start with the fuel system.
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
streetzj
1997 ZJ 

could be that it's triggering the alarm system and shutting it off. i had this problem last summer.
streetzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Can you hear the fuel pump whine (running) when the key is in the On position and not the Start position?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
jacobj86
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, I can hear it...
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
jacobj86
1997 ZJ 

UPDATE:

I had the fuel pump and all the wiring replaced this weekend, and the problem continues...
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
masterb142004
1995 ZJ 

The ten seconds on and then off really does sound like the security system. D
masterb142004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
jacobj86
1997 ZJ 

I tried grounding the wire to the security system just in case this was the problem, but it did not correct the problem. As of now, the Jeep will not start at all. I can hear the fuel pump come on and begin pumping and I can smell the fuel but it just won't kick on. Everything sounds normal but it just won't complete the final step and start....

As of now the following have been changed:
Distributor Cap
Distributor Pick-Up Coil (x2)
Crankshaft Position Sensor (x2)
Ignition Coil (x2)
Fuel Pump
Fuel Pump Relay
ASD Relay

As you can see a couple of them have been changed twice just in case the replacement was defective, and no luck. From what I've read these are the most common possibilities but I don't have the luck of having the common problem lol. I'm getting ready to pull my hair out.

Also, the spark plugs and wires are only about 3 weeks old. I did however, pull them out and examine and they show no sign of anything wrong.

Any other thoughts?
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #12
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I don't have time to read the entire post since I am at work, but this may help.
Grease Guide to Engine No Start Issues
Engine will not start but does crank-over.
The term “cranks-over” means that the starter motor is energized and turning the flywheel/engine but there is no combustion.

You must identify if the problem is spark or fuel related.

1- If you have an alarm, make sure it is de-activated. The engine will usually start but will cut out after 3 seconds if the alarm system is activated. (at least on ZJs)
2- Make sure that you have fuel in the gas tank.
3- With the engine off turn on the headlights for one minute. Wait five minutes and measure the battery voltage. The battery voltage should be at least 12.6 verifying that the battery is good could save you some time here.
Pull the codes from the computer.
4- Turning the ignition switch on, do not start the engine; check for the engine light on the dashboard to go on and then off. This means that’s the PCM has received power. At the same time, listen for the fuel pump. Does the fuel pump make a whining noise?
4a- check the Trans. Cont. Mod./Ignition fuse in the PDC if the Check Engine light does not come on.
5-Now check for spark by disconnecting the center post distributor cap wire. Hold it close to ground about 1/4 inch away (the cylinder head will do) while someone tries to start the engine.
If no spark then I would measure the primary & secondary coil resistances. If ok then I would replace the crank sensor.
6- If replacing the crankshaft sensor did not help or it did not ever start then you have to work backwards and find the last place that battery was supplied.

Notes: The next most common electrical failure after the Crank sensor is the camshaft sensor and the coil.
After three seconds if the PCM does not receive an input signal from Cam & Crank sensors, then the PCM will not allow the coil to fire or permit battery to the injectors.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have spark, then it is most likely fuel delivery or no compression.
If the vehicle has an external fuel filter, then change it. Drain some of the gas from the inlet end of the filter into a glass jar. Check the color and look at the bottom of the jar for water & debris.
Turn the ignition switch to the Run position only (not the Start position). Listen for the fuel pump motor to make whining sound in the gas tank. If you have a fuel pressure gage, then check for approx 30 to 40 psi at the fuel rail. If you hear nothing, then disconnect the electrical connector, at the tank, and check for a 12 volt supply coming from the engine end of the harness. If 12 volts is present then check for continuity across the fuel pump. If no resistance or mega-ohms, then the fuel pump motor is most likely dead. If so then drop the tank and replace it.

If none of the above helps then the PCM/ECU could be at fault.
I am not a professional mechanic, so try the above at your own risk. The above are guidelines only. Work safely. Electrical systems can be “live” without the key turned on. The fuel system is pressurized for awhile, even after the engine has been shut off. Please fell free to correct errors that you may find. Good Luck!!

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
kingofnothing

i'm fixing a jeep that has this same problem but there is a light that comes on the the dash with a key crossed out i was wonder if you had the same thing I believe that your problem is with the alarm system i don't know if there is a chip in the jeeps keys but that can be problematic or you could have something simple wrong like a bad door switch thats causing thealarm system to shut off the car. I can't say 100% but i'll let you no how i make out within the week.
kingofnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

Sounds like a crankshaft position sensor. Doesn't always give a code but if it does it will be a P0320 if I remember right.

[QUOTE=my-jeep-earl;6694423]It does look alot better when the Jeep is "ugly side up" though! :hahaha::teehee:[/QUOTE]
Marctwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #15
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

Having similar problems my self. Check my sig for the thread Did you replace your sensors with mopar parts or standard Autozone parts?

The Cps needs to be a oem not oem replacement part. Get it from the dealer and try it. I say this cause i think from your post you replaced it twice. Might be something to consider.

Also the security system is suposed to kill the vehicle with in three secs if the key is no good. Least thats what i have read. But unless the system is triggered and active you should be able to try to start it again till it kills it again.

Check and replace the Camshaft (not crankshaft) sensor. Can behave like the Crank sensor from what ive read in some threads.

Looking for help- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/completely-turns-off-while-driving-no-codes-1049268/
nlynd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.