Jeep is running rich and misfiring, sometimes. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep is running rich and misfiring, sometimes.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

Jeep is running rich and misfiring, sometimes.

Most of the time, my Jeep runs fine, albeit gas mileage is a little low (~13). On longer drives though(20mins+), it will out of the blue just start missing (can't cruise 60 mph, it misfires too much) and/or running extremely rich. I know it isn't that accurate, but the overhead console will estimate the mileage as dropping to 7-8mpg instead of the 20 or so it should be getting.

Turning the engine off and restarting doesn't help. You have to shut it off and let it cool down. Occasionally, possibly rarely, it will correct itself and start running normally again, but that doesn't last long.

Within the past year or two I have replaced:
  • TPS
  • Oxygen Sensor (a few months ago I believe)
  • Coolant Temp Senor
  • Plenum Gasket
  • Plugs
  • Wires
  • FPR
  • Oil Pressure Sensor
  • Battery
  • Radiator
  • Coolant Hoses
  • Heater Hoses
  • Air filter has been cleaned

Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
impuresoul2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Probably O2 sensors, maybe a bad cat. Not sure how many O2's the 5.2 has (you hinted towards only replacing one) It could be you got a bad one, or did you go mopar? If not, change them to mopar sensors.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

My 95 5.2, has one O2 sensor.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
JackieChilesEsq
1996 ZJ 

I have a '96 and I have the same problem. The thing would barely go when I cranked it this morning. The longer I drove it, the better it ran, but still doesn't run great.

I took it by Auto Zone and they came up with the following codes:

1. 1. Throttle Position Sensor/Pedal Position Sensor circuit high input, code PO123

2. 02 Sensor Circuit High Volts Bank 1 Sensor 2, code PO138.

What will it take it terms of cost, roughly, to get these issues fixed?
JackieChilesEsq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

I forgot to mention, sometimes in the mornings, when its a cooler morning, the engine will idle real low (~200rpms) and quite rough unless I hold the idle up around 1500 for a few of seconds. Without intervention, it will sometimes stall. It also seems like if I push down the gas pedal to move forward in a line or stopped traffic or something, it will misfire a little bit if its 1200 rpms or under.

The 93-95 Jeeps have only one O2 sensor, mine probably has around 2500 miles
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

And last bit of info, I don't have any codes
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

What brand O2 sensor did you put in?
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

NGK. If it was the O2 sensor, wouldn't it manifest itself well before a 20-30 minute drive?
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by impuresoul2k3 View Post
NGK. If it was the O2 sensor, wouldn't it manifest itself well before a 20-30 minute drive?
Not necessarily. Only after a bit of a drive is your jeep up to normal operating temps. Temps affect greatly if you run lean or rich. O2 sensor is probably wear I would start.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

The Crankshaft Position Sensor tends to go bad on a lot of our Jeeps. Many people have reported strange and intermittent missing can be cured by installing a MOPAR CPS. You've covered most bases, but left the coil, CPS, and Cam Position Sensor (inside the distributor). How about one of them?

Also, have you checked the ASD Relay for corrosion? Corrosion causes increased resistance with heat, and again, many have reported problems with the ASD relay.

Good luck!
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

Good call Stella, I think I'll check those out before the O2. I mean the Jeep is up to operating temp plenty of time before it starts misfiring.
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

Ezflip, I stand corrected haha. I had a friend hook up his scan tool and it turns out the O2 sensor starts reading lean, ~.1V and the fuel trims max out at +33%. Looks like its going back for a refund...

Its still kind of weird that it takes a longer-ish drive to get it to start running crappily
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.