Jeep rolls on even surface... T-case is bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep rolls on even surface... T-case is bad?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
orvisss
1995 ZJ 

Jeep rolls on even surface... T-case is bad?

So, guys. Finally my jeep gets lots of love, I even drove that thing to junk yard to pickup misc stuff for it. It made it just fine (about 100mi that day)
And this is when I discovered that jeep rolls on uneven surface. It does it very slowly, almost invisible, but everytime I got back it was in different spot. I was like "I could swear I parked closer". And yes! I've used E-Brake. Living in Seattle and in SF gave me that unkillable habit (I use it even on flat surface).
So I've discovered, that E-Brakes don't work, will have to fix that. And... It rolls when in P position.Is it a transfer case? Or transmission? I promised here not to do anything with T-case while it is good, well, the swap/VC fix will have to be performed sooner than I thought

orvisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Dont know about the 95, but there was a recall on the 97 to fix the park detent/or pawl in the tranny.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvisss View Post
So, guys. Finally my jeep gets lots of love, I even drove that thing to junk yard to pickup misc stuff for it. It made it just fine (about 100mi that day)
And this is when I discovered that jeep rolls on uneven surface. It does it very slowly, almost invisible, but everytime I got back it was in different spot. I was like "I could swear I parked closer". And yes! I've used E-Brake. Living in Seattle and in SF gave me that unkillable habit (I use it even on flat surface).
So I've discovered, that E-Brakes don't work, will have to fix that. And... It rolls when in P position.Is it a transfer case? Or transmission? I promised here not to do anything with T-case while it is good, well, the swap/VC fix will have to be performed sooner than I thought
Never heard of a bad VC causing the Jeep to roll. If anything it would bind it up and cause it not to roll. 93-95 will roll in park with the front drive shaft removed.
I believe there is a recall on the parking lever too.
To test the VC do tight figure 8's lock to lock. If it takes a lot of gas to move it and feels like it's hopping and binding then the VC is bad.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
JColee
1997 ZJ 

In my 1997 Limited ZJ, after driving about 300 miles with a bad VC, I parked at a McDonalds to grab some wifi and while my Jeep was in park and turned off it would keep... lurching forward maybe a half an inch or so every few seconds. It only did it once, and I could never get it to do it again. Not sure if it and the bad VC were related though.
JColee is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.