Jeep rocker panels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep rocker panels

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
ESUBOSTON
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep rocker panels

My rockers need replacing should I have them professionally replaced and how can I save some money on the job. How do I prevent dirt etc..from getting into the panels in back of the front wheel.. Is there an easy way of repair?
thks

ESUBOSTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
neverXalone
1995 ZJ 

A lot of people use steel tubes to make sliders. You can do a quick search and see what people usually do for these. A lot of people have said its up to 1000 to get a shop to fix them. I havent repaired mine personally but have been researching around this board on the same topic.

Edit: Im also from Massachusetts. Sup?
neverXalone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
chaZJones
Dreamer

1996 ZJ 

cut the rockers out and weld in some steel box tube. 2x6 would be nice for sliders/step
Unread 12-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaZJones View Post
cut the rockers out and weld in some steel box tube. 2x6 would be nice for sliders/step
This is what I have planned. As soon as I find the time.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
ESUBOSTON
1998 XJ Cherokee 

rocker panels

what is a slider?
Unread 12-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
ESUBOSTON
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in East Freetown mass... wish there was someone around who knows the ins and outs of the jeeps ... I think someone in tauton
Unread 12-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

A slider is a HD piece of metal, like the 2x6 box steel mentioned, which replaces the rocker and normally for off-road use. Like sliding on rocks, logs, etc..

If you're wanting to stick to stock rocker panels Rockauto carries them at some fairly descent pricing. Usually there's an inner and outer rocker. I've seen more of a selection on their site but would think for $123/each these might be both welded together but could just be the outer.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...088&cc=1315963

The left one would be part #08504AL. If you don't weld you'll have to find a body shop to cut the old ones off and weld the new ones on. You may be better off finding a small shop or asking around about welders in your area. Good luck.

PS. Go into your account at top of page > click on edit Jeep info on the left side > under model select ZJ > save changes button at the bottom. A XJ is just a Cherokee while a ZJ is a Grand Cherokee (93-98).

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
To the OP, just consider this:
No matter of style done, a rocker panel replacement will take between 1-2 days. have a shop do it, and it'll cost you plenty of money.

Box steel rockers are the way to go, no matter if you're ever going to wheel it or not. Why? It's much easier to do in the end. Stock rockers are sandwiched between multiple plates (mainly on the a-, b-, and c-pillar areas), they consist of at least an inner and outer panel, and to do the work properly, there are a gazillion spot welds that need to be drilled open, then separate/ pull out rocker plates, clean ALL rust, etc... only then you can start welding in the new ones.

In other words, trying to replace with stock style rockers is a LOT more work than doing box steel rockers. Box steel rockers: cut two straight lines (one from the bottom side of the Jeep on the vertical floor pan section, one right below the door sill), burn in 2 x 6 box steel, paint. Search for box steel rockers either on ZJ- or XJ- tech section. Principle is the same on both, measurements are slightly different. Check out my ZJ build thread on my signature.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Some real good info Timo and in not replacing rockers myself I've learned something!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I'm going to be cutting off my current sliders and then cutting up the rocker for box steel in a month or two.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

We carry new rockers for your ZJ here's a link to them if anyone wanted to check them out. Jeep Grand Cherokee Rocker Panels

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
CALL TOLL FREE 866-403-3393
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

$230 will buy a lot of steel . . .

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #13
ESUBOSTON
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok Jeepsters....Can you believe your on line with a 71 yr old jeeper. My ZJ is 6 cyl and 98k orginal miles 3rd owner. Runs like a clock and never a tune up. Fantastic automobile. My grandson wants bigger tires and loves to hear that engine perform. All original and I get many comments. It's my 2nd car for general runs around town. I want to keep her I do need to get the rims taken care of..seems like a clear coat is pealing..true? Anyway, pse keep me imformed. THANKS
Unread 12-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #14
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Here is a video of rocker replacement with 2x6 steel tube. The design on this one is a little unique (to me anyway) because the tubes don't have supports which are welded to the main uni-body frame rail.

http://www.projectzj.com/videoupdate...liders-part-1/
zarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #15
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarnold View Post
Here is a video of rocker replacement with 2x6 steel tube. The design on this one is a little unique (to me anyway) because the tubes don't have supports which are welded to the main uni-body frame rail.

http://www.projectzj.com/videoupdate...liders-part-1/
That's pretty much exactly how I've built mine. If I was doing more hardcore offroading with my ZJ, I would definitely add the support legs from the rockers to uniframe. However, I've dropped my ZJ from at least two feet high ledges flat onto a rock, I've banged them MANY times pretty hard on rocks, and I have had zero issues. I have multiple dents on the tube extensions on both sides, but nothing on the rockers

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.