Jeep Liberty 8.25 Axle into a Jeep Grand cherokee??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Liberty 8.25 Axle into a Jeep Grand cherokee???

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
blackjeeprubi
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Jeep Liberty 8.25 Axle into a Jeep Grand cherokee???

Has anyone looked into swapping in a Jeep Liberty 8.25 rear axle into a WJ?? I know the suspension is the same design with the balljoint on top and the 8.25 in the liberty also came with the sensor in the rear for the ABS and speedo. I havn't been looking at this very long and I'm sure there would be some issues, the thought just came to me while I was trying to figure out a way to get a selectable locker in the rear without spending $2500 on a JK Dana 44.

I saw an article in 4wheeler Magazine not to long ago about a build up of the 8.25 axle. Strength wise it was very close to a dana 44 and has a huge number of locker made for it. (ARB, Eaton, Auburn, Powertrax, Etc.) The 8.25out of the liberty seems to run about $500 used with 3.73 gears.

Wes

blackjeeprubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

probably not without a lot of fabrication. You're better off, and even cheaper, to go with a d44.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Any idea what the Liberty's WMS-WMS is? I imagine it is quite a bit less then the WJ's 63" WMS-WMS.
Unread 10-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
blackjeeprubi
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, what about swapping in a dana 35 from a 4.0L cherokee? Would the 35 still have the sensor for the abs and speedo? I know all about the strength issues with the 35 so no comments about that please.

Wes
Unread 10-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Why would you want to swap in the same axle that could already be back there? The WJ came with either a D44a or the D35. Both are unique to the WJ. The XJ's rear suspension is 110% different then the WJ's. NOTHING is the same.

What is your goal and why are you swapping axles?
Unread 10-11-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
blackjeeprubi
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well my goal is to find a selectable locker for the WJ. I really like the option of running unlocked except when neccessary offroad. I was really hoping to put an ARB or Auburn Electric in the WJ front and rear. Also keeps my 4 wheel fulltime working like factory. I'm not planning on giant tires or doing anything really extreme. I'm running a 2.5" lift and 255/70R16 right now.

My thought behind the dana 35 rear is that maybe the dana 35 ARB or Auburn locker would fit, but from what your saying sounds like the dana 35 WJ axle may be different to. I was kind of shocked to find that the only available locker for the WJ is the Aussie lock.

Wes
Unread 10-11-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
sandman
1993 ZJ 

if i were you i would either put an aussie in your 44a or put a selectable up front. but i would by no means even think of touching the d35.
Unread 10-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #8
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjeeprubi View Post
Well my goal is to find a selectable locker for the WJ. I really like the option of running unlocked except when neccessary offroad. I was really hoping to put an ARB or Auburn Electric in the WJ front and rear. Also keeps my 4 wheel fulltime working like factory. I'm not planning on giant tires or doing anything really extreme. I'm running a 2.5" lift and 255/70R16 right now.

My thought behind the dana 35 rear is that maybe the dana 35 ARB or Auburn locker would fit, but from what your saying sounds like the dana 35 WJ axle may be different to. I was kind of shocked to find that the only available locker for the WJ is the Aussie lock.

Wes
The WJ D35 is just wider then a regular D35...you can put a regular ARB or OX locker back there. Do you have a D35 or D44a in the back of your WJ right now? What size tire are you planning on running?
Unread 10-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
blackjeeprubi
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well thats good to know that I have an option. I have the dana 44hd now. But I was considering swaping to the dana 35 to give me the option to have an ARB or OX, etc. I'm still not sure from my research that it's possible to bolt in a dana 35 where my dana 44hd sits now. I guess it would cost me a pretty penny to get custom 30 spline drive shafts made for the Dana 35 WJ axle if the shafts are long than the TJ Dana 35. I knew I could build it pretty strong Dana 35 in my garage, but it may be cheaper to buy the JK dana 44. I guess there is a kit made for swapping in the dana 44 jk axle.

Wes

PS. My tires are 255/70R16 and thats as big as I'm going.
Unread 10-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

The d35 from a WJ will swap directly in. The only difference is the driveshaft will need to be made about an inch longer due to the difference in length of the pinion.
Unread 10-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
nierace
2003 WJ 

What exactly are you doing where you need a locker and are using 29" tires ? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense in my head
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

So you have a 44a? Not a 44hd. And if you have a V8 it probably wouldn't be a good idea to swap a 35 in.
Unread 10-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #13
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
So you have a 44a? Not a 44hd. And if you have a V8 it probably wouldn't be a good idea to swap a 35 in.
That's how Dana-Spicer calls the D44a, a D44-HD.

X2 on others people's comments, not sure why someone in their right mind would swap in a turdy five to a V8 dubya jay.

2004 WJ Ltd. (steel blue pearlcoat)
4.7, 242 HD swap, 6" Clayton's, 35" BFG KM2s, F/R chromo'd JK Rubi D44s
TX-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2008, 05:32 AM   #14
blackjeeprubi
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, let me see if I can make this more clear. My WJ is a 2000 model limited with the 4.7L V8 and the Dana 44hd (dana 44a) with selecttrac.

I have owned several jeep products over the years and have always put some form of locker in the front and rear. I lost my Rubicon when my wife went in the hospital and my only vehicle now is my dads old WJ. I'm not complaining at all, I really like the WJ and it's growing on me everyday.

Over the past few years I really begin to like lockers more than lifts. It's just my thing I guess. I grew up overseas where the Land Cruiser with locker front and rear was king.

I really like my new toy, the WJ, and like it even more with the 2.5" lift and 255/70R16 on factory steel JK wheels. I will hopfully get a bumper before to long so I can mount my Warn 9500TI. (right now it's on a multimount on the rear hitch)

After I get the bumper, my next thing to look at is the drivetrain. I would really like to have selectable lockers front and rear. I had a powertrax lunch box locker in a jeep liberty I owned back in 2000 and was more than disappointed the first time I towed a small trailer with it. It was twitchy going down the highway everytime I let off the gas. The Aussie locker may be better but I guess the only way to find out is to buy one and see.

The thought behind swapping in the Dana 35 was to allow me to use selectable lockers front and rear. But the only way the Dana 35 would survive the V8, locker, and light offroading would be to upgrade it. My brother owns a Dana 35 equipped TJ and never had an issue........but we never went bigger than 31" tires.

ArloGuthroJeep, thanks for the advice. Do you think I should go with the Aussie locker or try the swap and build of the Dana 35? Will the Aussie Locker cause any issues with my Fulltime 4wd setting? I know the Jeep Liberty with the lunch box locker didn't like the fulltime setting with the powertrax in the rear.

Thanks guys! This Forum is great.

Wes
Unread 10-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

aussie locker or get a 44a(hd) with varilock in it from a quadra drive wj.

under no circumstances would i downgrade an axle just because there's more lockers available for it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.