Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep Liberty 8.25 Axle into a Jeep Grand cherokee???

14K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  ArloGuthroJeep 
#1 ·
Has anyone looked into swapping in a Jeep Liberty 8.25 rear axle into a WJ?? I know the suspension is the same design with the balljoint on top and the 8.25 in the liberty also came with the sensor in the rear for the ABS and speedo. I havn't been looking at this very long and I'm sure there would be some issues, the thought just came to me while I was trying to figure out a way to get a selectable locker in the rear without spending $2500 on a JK Dana 44.

I saw an article in 4wheeler Magazine not to long ago about a build up of the 8.25 axle. Strength wise it was very close to a dana 44 and has a huge number of locker made for it. (ARB, Eaton, Auburn, Powertrax, Etc.) The 8.25out of the liberty seems to run about $500 used with 3.73 gears.

Wes

#6 ·
Well my goal is to find a selectable locker for the WJ. I really like the option of running unlocked except when neccessary offroad. I was really hoping to put an ARB or Auburn Electric in the WJ front and rear. Also keeps my 4 wheel fulltime working like factory. I'm not planning on giant tires or doing anything really extreme. I'm running a 2.5" lift and 255/70R16 right now.

My thought behind the dana 35 rear is that maybe the dana 35 ARB or Auburn locker would fit, but from what your saying sounds like the dana 35 WJ axle may be different to. I was kind of shocked to find that the only available locker for the WJ is the Aussie lock.

Wes

#8 ·
Well my goal is to find a selectable locker for the WJ. I really like the option of running unlocked except when neccessary offroad. I was really hoping to put an ARB or Auburn Electric in the WJ front and rear. Also keeps my 4 wheel fulltime working like factory. I'm not planning on giant tires or doing anything really extreme. I'm running a 2.5" lift and 255/70R16 right now.

My thought behind the dana 35 rear is that maybe the dana 35 ARB or Auburn locker would fit, but from what your saying sounds like the dana 35 WJ axle may be different to. I was kind of shocked to find that the only available locker for the WJ is the Aussie lock.

Wes
The WJ D35 is just wider then a regular D35...you can put a regular ARB or OX locker back there. Do you have a D35 or D44a in the back of your WJ right now? What size tire are you planning on running?

#9 ·
Well thats good to know that I have an option. I have the dana 44hd now. But I was considering swaping to the dana 35 to give me the option to have an ARB or OX, etc. I'm still not sure from my research that it's possible to bolt in a dana 35 where my dana 44hd sits now. I guess it would cost me a pretty penny to get custom 30 spline drive shafts made for the Dana 35 WJ axle if the shafts are long than the TJ Dana 35. I knew I could build it pretty strong Dana 35 in my garage, but it may be cheaper to buy the JK dana 44. I guess there is a kit made for swapping in the dana 44 jk axle.

Wes

PS. My tires are 255/70R16 and thats as big as I'm going.

#14 ·
Well, let me see if I can make this more clear. My WJ is a 2000 model limited with the 4.7L V8 and the Dana 44hd (dana 44a) with selecttrac.

I have owned several jeep products over the years and have always put some form of locker in the front and rear. I lost my Rubicon when my wife went in the hospital and my only vehicle now is my dads old WJ. I'm not complaining at all, I really like the WJ and it's growing on me everyday.

Over the past few years I really begin to like lockers more than lifts. It's just my thing I guess. I grew up overseas where the Land Cruiser with locker front and rear was king.

I really like my new toy, the WJ, and like it even more with the 2.5" lift and 255/70R16 on factory steel JK wheels. I will hopfully get a bumper before to long so I can mount my Warn 9500TI. (right now it's on a multimount on the rear hitch)

After I get the bumper, my next thing to look at is the drivetrain. I would really like to have selectable lockers front and rear. I had a powertrax lunch box locker in a jeep liberty I owned back in 2000 and was more than disappointed the first time I towed a small trailer with it. It was twitchy going down the highway everytime I let off the gas. The Aussie locker may be better but I guess the only way to find out is to buy one and see.

The thought behind swapping in the Dana 35 was to allow me to use selectable lockers front and rear. But the only way the Dana 35 would survive the V8, locker, and light offroading would be to upgrade it. My brother owns a Dana 35 equipped TJ and never had an issue........but we never went bigger than 31" tires.

ArloGuthroJeep, thanks for the advice. Do you think I should go with the Aussie locker or try the swap and build of the Dana 35? Will the Aussie Locker cause any issues with my Fulltime 4wd setting? I know the Jeep Liberty with the lunch box locker didn't like the fulltime setting with the powertrax in the rear.

Thanks guys! This Forum is great.

Wes

#19 ·
ArloGuthroJeep, thanks for the advice. Do you think I should go with the Aussie locker or try the swap and build of the Dana 35? Will the Aussie Locker cause any issues with my Fulltime 4wd setting? I know the Jeep Liberty with the lunch box locker didn't like the fulltime setting with the powertrax in the rear.
No, I in fact run the 242 (Selec-Trac) with the Aussie and D44HD (D44a) in the rear. Running in full-time makes the locker 99% transparent aside from some clicking around corners. I recommend sticking with the D44a and installing a locker. It is a auto-locker/lunchbox locker (ie: not selectable) though.

#16 ·
I completely agree.

Hunter

#17 ·
or if you want to stay at a d44 go to ironrockoffroad.com and get their d44 jk axle. im absolutely sure theres plenty of lockers for that axle. poopy d44a :mad:

#20 ·
I'm going to guess the OP does not really have selectrac, rather quadratrac since he has a limited. I may be wrong, but I think most 4.7s with the 242HD were laredos. Hence why he is asking about alltime4wd with the aussie, which is what I have, and to be honest, I hate it in the street :rofl:, but I love it on the trail. I may get a 242 tcase down the road.

#23 ·
Like Arlo said it is near invisible in full-time 4wd when you have a a 242/242HD. You will notice a big difference from 2wd vs full time.

Quadra-drive axles are another option the limited slip in those work great, just don't hold up to bigger tires so that might be something you should consider. You can prob find some with low mileage for not too much $ on car-part.com and then sell off your old ones.

You could have a WJ selecta-drive !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.