Jeep leaking coolant on ground.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep leaking coolant on ground..

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Offroad Sales Tech are Available To Help!Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Jeep leaking coolant on ground..

So my 5.9 today I noticed a big puddle on the ground.. Bottle is near empty.. I never saw this yesterday so it happened last night when I was driving or when it was parked.. Temps are extremely cold.. but I know my coolant is up for it I checked it with a measuring tool awhile back.

I went under and prayed it wasn't the radiator and I found its leaking on the driver corner.. The drain plug apparently is leaking.. Its dripping slowely out of the little downspout. I know for a fact this plug is fairly new as I replaced it like 3 years ago.. Any idea's ? Could it really have gone bad this fast ?

Imo go to the store and get another and hopefully not a face full of coolant when I do lol.. I hope this fixes it.. This may be a dumb post I guess but Im wondering what would cause this to leak out of the spout with a fairly new plug that never leaked before

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
So my 5.9 today I noticed a big puddle on the ground.. Bottle is near empty.. I never saw this yesterday so it happened last night when I was driving or when it was parked.. Temps are extremely cold.. but I know my coolant is up for it I checked it with a measuring tool awhile back.

I went under and prayed it wasn't the radiator and I found its leaking on the driver corner.. The drain plug apparently is leaking.. Its dripping slowely out of the little downspout. I know for a fact this plug is fairly new as I replaced it like 3 years ago.. Any idea's ? Could it really have gone bad this fast ?

Imo go to the store and get another and hopefully not a face full of coolant when I do lol.. I hope this fixes it.. This may be a dumb post I guess but Im wondering what would cause this to leak out of the spout with a fairly new plug that never leaked before
The same thing is happening to me right now. WTF My radiator is fairly new(Oreillys) less than a year old. We just had a -15 snap of cold weather. Im hoping this reseals itself with the warmer weather. I just did the waterpump and now this! G** damn son of a %$#&@
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
OCDComputing
1998 ZJ 

Dang...you guys must have some sissy Jeeps in the U.S.! LOL!! We've had a bunch of days close to -40f or better (yes I did the translation from c to f). So far *knock on wood* my....hmm...as yet un-named 98 has been rock solid. Like I said...*knock on wood*! LOL!! It has started every time...even after sitting for quite a few days and hasn't decided to grace me with any fluids on the ground...for which I'm thankful! Stay safe and warm!!...but I will say...when the temps here have been -40..the heat in the Jeep sucks large!
OCDComputing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Replaced my radiator about six months ago. After a week of wondering why I was still leaking coolant, I found it was coming from the drain plug. Tightened it up with some channel locks and it solved the problem.

Otherwise I would just permanently plug it with some kind of grommet and some RTV. Over time they get brittle, I always use the lower radiator hose when draining coolant because I don't trust the plugs.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Replaced my radiator about six months ago. After a week of wondering why I was still leaking coolant, I found it was coming from the drain plug. Tightened it up with some channel locks and it solved the problem.

Otherwise I would just permanently plug it with some kind of grommet and some RTV. Over time they get brittle, I always use the lower radiator hose when draining coolant because I don't trust the plugs.
Never touched mine either.. I should have RTV'd the crap out of it when I had the system drained the other week... I cant really use a channel locks on mine since its platsic.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
Never touched mine either.. I should have RTV'd the crap out of it when I had the system drained the other week... I cant really use a channel locks on mine since its platsic.
Mine is plastic too. I didn't have any pliers handy so I used the locks. I tried tightening by hand but it didn't budge, got a solid half turn with the locks and it hasn't leaked since. I would have used a plug and/or RTV if I had known at the time but I wasn't expecting it to leak with a new radiator. Next time I flush the coolant I will definitely be putting up a permanent barrier.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post

Usually it's the small o-ring on those drain plugs with spouts which gets chewed up or just plain fails. Probably with the super low temps and then heating up hot, then cooling down real quick, caused the coolant to bleed past it? Kind of a poor design where you have to push it in fairly hard to get those 2 plastic tabs past the inner hole then the o-ring hits the sharp surface edges where it seals.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
KJK
1998 ZJ 

O-ring failure in below freezing temps. Sound familiar?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.