Jeep Ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Ideas

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-22-2003, 12:39 PM   #1
BridgetBarnett

Jeep Ideas

I am new to the board so hi I am Bridget! I am 21 and live in Birmingham. I have a White 1997 Grand Cherokee 4x4 V8. It looks like I am going to have this car for a couple of more years before I can get my new limited that I want so bad. So in the mean time I am trying to make mine a little more interesting on the inside. Any ideas. I have blackish-dark grey leather interior. And also.... It smells funny like there is mildew or something inside the air vents what can I do to fix that and make it smell good again?

BridgetBarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 10:46 PM   #2
Angry Alan

1. Air freshener
2. What exactly do you want done to the interior?
Unread 08-28-2003, 01:44 PM   #3
Intrepidjeep

Here's how you fix the smell from AC:

What to do:
Spray disinfectant into the fresh air intake.

Why:
The smell from the AC comes about when bacteria, mold and mildew attach to the damp air conditioner coils located in the dash area. This is a common problem in high humidity areas, and not limited to cars. We all know our bathtubs will mildew if they aren't disinfected from time to time... same problem in your AC system.

How:
1) Procure a can of antibacterial disinfectant such as Lysol.
2) Don't use the AC for a few hours so that the AC coils are dry.
3) Start car
4) Turn AC to lowest temperature setting
5) Turn fan speed to maximum
6) Set air for fresh air, ie. make sure you're pulling in outside air, and not recirculating.
7) Open hood. As the car is running, please make sure you're not wearing any loose articles of clothes (like ties) that can get caught in the turning parts
8) Locate the fresh air intake. This is typically just under the vents on the top of the hood near the windshield, by the windshield cleaner outlets
10) Remove filter if there is one.
11) Get the can of Lysol and spray into the opening. Make sure you get a fine mist going into the opening. How much to use depends on the severity of the odor. Try a little at first.
12) The fan is now sucking in the spray and the cold AC coils condense it so that it adheres to the affected areas, attacking the source of the smell.
13) Turn off the car and reassemble the air intake.
14) Do this when you don't plan on driving for a couple of hours. This will give the disinfectant time to battle the evil spores. (If you drive and use the AC right after the procedure, the condensation will wash off the disinfectant, reducing the effectiveness of the treatment.)

Now the car will smell like Lysol for a while as it kills off the mildew and mold spores and bacteria.

You may have to re-treat periodically, just as you have to clean your bathtub periodically to avoid mildew.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.