Jeep Hesitaing when it gets warm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Hesitaing when it gets warm

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 08-21-2002, 02:46 PM   #1
monch66

Jeep Hesitaing when it gets warm

My 94 Laredo works like a charm untill it gets warm, then it starts to sputter and refuses to go faster no matter how much gas you give it. I have replaced the cps and the plugs,wires and distributor but it still happens. There are a couple of theories that I have heard : 1 is that the computer is going south or 2) that there is somthing restricting the flow of exhaust. The second my be true because I have noticed this problem since I had my muffler replaced in june. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Monch66

Unread 08-21-2002, 03:10 PM   #2
wadger

I can't tell you what the problem is, but perhaps your on-board diagnostics can. I think cherokees through 1997 have the on board diagnostics - if something is wrong with your engine or emissions, the OBD will most likely let you know. Put your key in the ignition and turn it (but don't start the engine) to ON, OFF, ON, OFF, and then turn it to ON and leave it. You have to do this sequence in under around 3 seconds. If your powertrain control module has any trouble codes stored, the check engine light will flash. The codes are two digits. Example: a trouble code 35 would be 3 flashes, a pause then 5 flashes. (more than 1 code will be separated by a long pause)

If you try this and get trouble codes I'm sure that if you post them, someone here can let you know what they mean. I hope this helps ya.
wadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2002, 04:04 PM   #3
monch66

Thanks Wadger but I have already had it run through diagnostics but there are not codes showing up.
Unread 08-21-2002, 04:36 PM   #4
MadDogg

just some things you might want to check out:
1) catalytic converter isn't plugged up
2) EGR valve is working ok (if you have an EGR system)
3) whatever system(s) that functions like a choke (idle air control sensor circuit?)
4) O2 sensor
5) fuel pressure (plugged fuel filter or faulty fuel pump)

those mechanics love to replace stuff that works fine... especially the computer. Sounds to me like you're not getting fuel or air to the engine (as long as the exhaust isn't plugged up)

Last edited by MadDogg; 08-21-2002 at 04:40 PM..
MadDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2002, 04:03 AM   #5
monch66

It seems to be gettng all kinds of gas, The Mechanic and I drove it with the fuel pressure guage on it and it is never being starved of off fuel. As far as the cat converter is concerned, I did have the muffler replaced in june and it has been getting worse since that time. I noticed that the mid pipe is a lot smaller than the one that was replaced. Could this be causing this?

Unread 08-22-2002, 08:11 PM   #6
monch66

Hey MadDogg, It looks like you might be right about the cat converter. A quick test will reveal if it is plugged. Start the engine and let it idle, wait untill it warms up and then get someone to put thier hand behind the exhaust. then gun the engine, if the hand is not pushed back then it is probably blocked.

Thanks all.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.