Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

jeep grand cherokee transmission

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  PlatinumZJ 
#1 ·
I an asking this for my son who has a 2000 Grand Cherokee. It has about a 100,000 miles on it and his trouble all started with the transmission when he turns left and in 2nd gear it seems as the trans is slipping. Now it shifts into 2nd gear it will like go in and out so to speak(or tires slipping on patches of ice he describes). If he goes easy on the gas it will like slip and rpms seem to go up. If he gives it a lot of gas he says it doesnt seem to do it. What should we look for or do. Change trans and fluid? Could it be a shift silenoid? Can the codes be read for the trans on these? Any help would be a big help. Thanks in advance. UncleTom

#2 ·
UncleTom said:
I an asking this for my son who has a 2000 Grand Cherokee. It has about a 100,000 miles on it and his trouble all started with the transmission when he turns left and in 2nd gear it seems as the trans is slipping. Now it shifts into 2nd gear it will like go in and out so to speak(or tires slipping on patches of ice he describes). If he goes easy on the gas it will like slip and rpms seem to go up. If he gives it a lot of gas he says it doesnt seem to do it. What should we look for or do. Change trans and fluid? Could it be a shift silenoid? Can the codes be read for the trans on these? Any help would be a big help. Thanks in advance. UncleTom
What engine, what transmission?

#3 ·
Yes, the transmission codes can be read.
It sounds like the transmission isn't getting enough pressure to initiate the gear change unless the rpm's are high. This could be due to low fluid level, clogged filter, bad selenoid, out of adjustment throttle position sensor, or bad master controller...
Start with the easy stuff first, and go from there.

HTH :thumbsup:

#4 ·
wvd said:
Yes, the transmission codes can be read.
It sounds like the transmission isn't getting enough pressure to initiate the gear change unless the rpm's are high. This could be due to low fluid level, clogged filter, bad selenoid, out of adjustment throttle position sensor, or bad master controller...
Start with the easy stuff first, and go from there.

HTH :thumbsup:
I realize you are a moderator, but I don't understand why you would pretend no one had answered this post and that no engine or transmission info was needed. I am sitting here with a 2000FSM and waiting for the original poster to give his info so I can try to help him. You just blew him off and ignored my request for more info. I agree with your info, but it was just generic stuff. I am sure he came here for more in depth help. :confused:

#5 ·
dad,

I think if there's anyone around here who knows his stuff, it's Warren.

He was simply giving his .02 on the subject, not trying to offend you or deny the fact that you were willing to help. If no one posts, what good is this forum? Warren was not trying to make a broad statement just to get his post count up. All trannys have solenoids, TPS's, etc. Now when the thread starter returns he can give some more symptoms and details, and from Warren's initial list everyone can narrow it down.

Don't sweat it man, it's all good. But arguing over the internet is about as useless as...I don't even know..something very useles.. :wave:

Matt

#7 ·
Sorry, i should have included the engine. It has the inline 6 and what ever auto trans it would have. Sometimes my son says that it is like going into nuteral. It acts up only in the in between 1-2 shift. As far as i know, nothing has been done to the trans as far as fluid and filter change or band adjustments. What do you recomend. Thanks for all of your replys. UncleTom

#8 ·
UncleTom said:
... the inline 6 and what ever auto trans it would have. ...
the jeeps came with several choices of transfer cases. I lifted this TC info from the ZJ WJ specification thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82474 I didn't see any tranny info there.

NP242 used on I6 ZJs and WJs - This is known as SelecTrac NOTE: 93-94 V8 ZJ's had option of the NP242 Selec-Trac t-case.

NP249 used on all V8 ZJs and WJs, and was optional on 6 cylinder models - This is known as QuadraTrac.

NP231 used on various "heavy duty" ZJ and WJ V8s - known as Command-Trac
Also in 93-94 NP231 Command Trac was available with the I6's in SE's and Laredo's.

Here is the link to the tranny info:http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/transmission.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.