Jeep grand cherokee sun roof stuck open - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep grand cherokee sun roof stuck open

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
zachfirl
1996 ZJ 

Jeep grand cherokee sun roof stuck open

I have a 96 grand Cherokee and my sun roof is stuck open any ideas to close it without taking of the headliner

zachfirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
B93
1998 ZJ 

Ahhh **** that happened to me with my old ZJ. I just left it like that for a couple days, then it finally decided to work and close. When it rained, I just tossed a towel over it and that kept water out.
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

When you move the switch, does anything happen? Any movement or sound?
Kingr98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I posted some FSM scans in this thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/sunroof-1460240/

that helped a member with a similar problem.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Aureliametal
1998 ZJ 

Its really not that hard to take the headliner out. Took me about an hour from start to finish. Took out the headliner and removed the sunroof motor and just pushed the sunroof into position and reinstalled the motor so the glass wouldnt slip. I also left the power disconnected so It didnt get opened again until I get a new motor.
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

Try bumping the headliner above the rear seats where the hump in the headliner is. Under that, there is a small black box containing relays next to the motor. Often the relays start working intermittently. Sometimes a wack as you are hitting the switch at the same time does the trick.
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
zachfirl
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingr98
When you move the switch, does anything happen? Any movement or sound?
It sounds like It's trying to move but it doesn't go in or out
zachfirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

If the motor is running and the sunroof not working, it could just be debris in the track. Some other possibilities that would require removing the headliner to fix are a worn out motor or that the motor is not engaging the gears(this happened to mine).

If the motor is not running, try what Ilive4cars suggested. You have to hold the switch and bump it at the same time. This could at least help you get it closed. To fix this would still require removing the sunroof because you would have to resolder the control board(not difficult)

When i got my ZJ, the PO told me the sunroof didn't work so I didn't even try it for five years. I was dropping my headliner to reupholster it and decided to investigate my sun roof. Turns out it was a ZERO dollar fix. Had to resolder the control board to make the motor start working, then figured out the gears weren't engaging. Two rivets into the bracket fixed that.
Kingr98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.