Jeep Grand Cherokee Steering excessively loose - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Steering excessively loose

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-31-2009, 04:50 AM   #16
norm67
2000 XJ Cherokee 

hi all, i have same problem, i have a year 2000 Grand Cherokee, steering has about 3 inch play before wheels move, was advised to adjust allen screw on top of steering box, does anyone know if this works and what size allen key is required? thanks

norm67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 06:52 AM   #17
craddock01
1996 ZJ 

This is probably not your problem but I had goofy steering couple of weeks ago found one rear tire was way low on air steering improved a lot steering kind of felt like a truck when you get it overloaded front end going side to side.
craddock01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #18
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Yes it can help . Yes it can also wear out the box in short order . If it's not the problem , you'll soon find out when the steering binds up . If you want to know the condition of the str box , crawl under the jeep , look directly up at the shaft and have someone turn the steering wheel 1/2 turns . There should be a minimal amount of play , most cases have a leaking seal which is a good indicater of it's condition . If the seal leaks , there is usually excess play .

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/19-10-97.htm

Before doing this , make sure the frt end has been thoroughly inspected . I agree with Jeff , pop them off and see how loose they are . I find the best quick inspection though is with channel locks squeezing the joint and having someone back and forth on the wheel , by compressing the joint , you load it . Alot of the times you can feel a clunking with a worn steering TRE , so have your hand on the bars or cloe to the suspect joints while inspecting , it might help .

Track bars , They can sure cause wandering . Back and forth on the steering wheel at 1/2 turns . 'Any' play in this area means replacement .

Any replacing parts warrants a fresh whl alignment , which , if off , can also cause wandering .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 08:42 AM   #19
norm67
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ive looked underneath and the steering box appears to have small leakage, what does this mean?
Unread 05-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #20
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm67 View Post
ive looked underneath and the steering box appears to have small leakage, what does this mean?
It means that your steering box is leaking.
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #21
norm67
2000 XJ Cherokee 

yes thanks i gathered that, does that mean a new steering box or something else?
Unread 05-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #22
craddock01
1996 ZJ 

Are you losing pwer steering fluid like needing to top off frequently? Made sure leak is from steering box not just fluid that may have dripped onto box from pump? Cleaned it off with brake fluid to be certain ? Assumptions can be expensive if it turns out to be not the source of your problems.
craddock01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #23
norm67
2000 XJ Cherokee 

it doesnt look like im losing fluid, since ive had the excess play in the steering i looked underneath and noticed some leakage, could these two problems be related? Is there some kind of seal that needs replacing?
Unread 06-01-2009, 03:29 AM   #24
norm67
2000 XJ Cherokee 

does adjusting allen screw on top of steering box help with excessive play on steering? Any help would be appreciated
Unread 06-03-2009, 04:51 AM   #25
norm67
2000 XJ Cherokee 

any help anyone?
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #26
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm67 View Post
does adjusting allen screw on top of steering box help with excessive play on steering? Any help would be appreciated
Yes, this is what the tightening does. Did you read this post ? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=18
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2009, 02:56 AM   #27
bassicaLee
1993 ZJ 

ive got the same problem on my zj.
its stock. and the jeep rides fine. no bumpsteer. just lag and what feels like sloppy steering. the steering wheel turns 3-4" before the wheels turn.
however that link says "wandering" and i dont nessisarily have that soo much.
another idea i had is it might be air in the steering system.

but i dont think my wheel returns to center very quickly if you turn and let go.
how would you fix that?
bassicaLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #28
bassicaLee
1993 ZJ 

ok lol. maybe the problem is that i just noticed 2 lug nuts are broke off on the driver side rear wheel and 1 on each side in the front.
so i will fix that tommorow and see if that fixes it lol.
lucky i've been putting off driving the jeep till everything works on it. lol.

check your stuff to see if lugs are missing or broke off or if your wheels are loose or stripped threads.
bassicaLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #29
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassicaLee View Post
ok lol. maybe the problem is that i just noticed 2 lug nuts are broke off on the driver side rear wheel and 1 on each side in the front.
so i will fix that tommorow and see if that fixes it lol.
lucky i've been putting off driving the jeep till everything works on it. lol.

check your stuff to see if lugs are missing or broke off or if your wheels are loose or stripped threads.

Good idea to fix those lug nuts/studs but i am afraid that that is not your problem.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
Fabbri
1999 WJ 

steering too loose

JGC steering sucks!

Last edited by Fabbri; 12-16-2012 at 09:10 PM..
Fabbri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.