jeep doesn't see the ice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > jeep doesn't see the ice

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
Schem
1994 ZJ 

jeep doesn't see the ice

I know it's weird in summer, but my question is about ice info.
Normally, if the temperature is below or ca. 32F, there should be the "ice" information displayed on the overhead console display.
In my case, there's not. I haven't seen it even once during my 3 years spent with jeep.

When I do display self-check, it highlights all, including "ice". So, it's not the display fault.

The temperature sensor seems to be OK, too. The temperature shown is more or less correct everyday.

What's wrong then?

Ahah, there is an ice on the road in winter, here

Schem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
sebian
1995 ZJ 

I have owned a 93 Laredo, and currently a 95 Limited. I have never seen mine display 'ICE' in the winter. Mind you, this was in MN where every year we had -30F temps for nearly a month straight. Maybe this is a feature on the Euro version of the ZJ?

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Mine flashes "ICE" for about 10 to 15 minutes after I start it when the temperature is at like 35 or less, I believe. I know the temp at which it should be displayed is not the melting point of water. I think it's actually a little higher to account for possible ice conditions when things start to melt. If it doesn't display it, I wouldn't worry about it. IIRC, there was a thread about this a couple years ago on here and some people never saw the "ICE" message while others did.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Mine also flashes "ice" at around 35 degrees or less after starting.
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

Mine will sometimes flash 'ICE' when it is 40 and raining. lol.
ROFLwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Yes, I believe the ice warning only shows up temporarily when the temp is just above freezing as a reminder to watch out for black ice and icy bridges. It was never meant to sense actual ice, and it doesn't show up below freezing because ice being possible below the freezing point is obvious to most folks.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

I know i seen it on mine every winter and i live in Savannah! lol
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
Schem
1994 ZJ 

OK, thank you guys. Good to know it's not only me
I was thinking something is broken, and can be fixed. If I would know what's wrong.

Maybe it's software, then...
Doesn't matter - I know when it's slippery, don't need such an info
Schem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

its not just you or Jeep, its pretty much every companies mirror and/or sensor. I've driven factory equipped temp display mirror Jeeps as well as Gentex swapped mirrors/sensors from GM models into a few Jeeps now and the "ICE" display is hit or miss at best, case in point, the current compass/temp mirror and sensor I have in my 5.9 is out of a newer model Tahoe and I can be sliding sideways drifting on a sheet of black ice at 37 degrees with no "ICE" warning from the mirror yet the exact same swap I added to my TJ showed the "ICE" warning at exactly 36 degrees like clockwork. The setup I added to my TJ was literally dead on with the outside temperature yet the exact same setup in my 5.9 is off by exactly 3 degrees all the way from 28 to 90+ degrees regardless of the sensor I use or where I locate it. I pretty much just use the reading as a baseline and adjust my driving style based on how wide the slide is and call it good!
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #10
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I didn't even know there was supposed to be such a thing on the screen My outside temp readings are correct to within two degrees which IMO is a good result in vehicles. However, I've never seen the ice warning on my niner and we get that kind of weather (temps hovering around freezing point) couple months a year in autumn/ early winter, and early spring.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I've seen the "ICE" warning fairly frequently on my 96 4.0 during the winter months. Don't know why it isn't given when heading up my steep/curvy long drive in the woods when conditions are just right and it turns into a glacier. Lol.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #12
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Off topic kinda, but how do you go about installing the Gentex. zach?
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Here's my write up I did from back in my TJ days. I added it to my 5.9 so I can keep the fuel economy on the overhead console and have the compass/temp on the mirror

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/co...o-pics-952705/
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Thanks! On my list of stuff to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.