Jeep dies after tossing belt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep dies after tossing belt

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 09-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep dies after tossing belt

As it says mine is dying just as it tosses a belt not too worried about the belt as im sure its just a bad pulley somewhere. But what would cause it to die? I was thinking battery but have had zero problems starting so im guessing battery is good. Any thoughts?

cbr900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

What year/engine?

Does it start up and then die after a second or two?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
caseyliffick
1995 ZJ 

I'd check the bearing on the alternator? If it starts up fine, battery is fine.

I was always told that when you throw a belt off, turn all of the pulleys on the system. If one grinds, the bearing I'd bad.
caseyliffick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
What year/engine?

Does it start up and then die after a second or two?
Sorry forgot to add this one to my profile

1996 4.0

I never actually tried to restart it after it tossed the belt as it was late and not in the mood after about 4 times of the belt jumping on me. It would start right up after I put the belt on how ever as I said I never tried to start it with the belt off.

After work tomorrow ill take the belt off and try and start it.
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyliffick View Post
I'd check the bearing on the alternator? If it starts up fine, battery is fine.

I was always told that when you throw a belt off, turn all of the pulleys on the system. If one grinds, the bearing I'd bad.
I check all the pulleys everything spins fine with little play except the power steering pump there is enough resistance that if I try to spin it the wheel wont make one complete 360. Also there is a crack running across that same pulley im guessing thats what is causing it to jump. Not the factory gap where it was made but an actual crack.
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Ok im at a loss here I replaced the power steering pulley but I still have the same problem. The jeep will randomly die and toss the belt.

-A/C off and on when it dies and tosses belt

-It always tosses the belt when it dies

-Never tosses a belt without stalling out

-It starts right back up with belt off as well as if I put belt back on

-Idles great, drives good

-All pulleys spin freely

-Check gauges light comes on when it dies

Since it dies and tosses the belt im guessing they are connected So the only thing that I can come up with that connects the 2 is the alternator. Maybe it locks up which causes the belt to jump and at the same time the jeep dies because of sudden loss of power. Kinda lie when you pull the battery cable with motor running it bogs down for a second.

Any thoughts? Id hate to buy an alternator only to have same problem.
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like something is not algined properly...Check to make sure that your ps pulley is seated all the way...check your harmonic balancer, see if it is bad...check all your tensioner(s)
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #8
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I dont think a pulley would cause the jeep to die, something is causing it to die and toss the belt at the same time
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #9
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

How well do all the pulleys line up ? Harmonic balancer going bananas ?

Is the belt being tighten enough ? Maybe check the adjuster to make sure it's not cracked , stripped or damaged in some way that it works loose .

Have the battery checked out just so it can be confirmed not the issue
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Battery is good as I can start the jeep with no problem and even run it on battery only, belt brand new adjusted to about 1/4" of play between PS and pulley to left
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr900 View Post
Battery is good as I can start the jeep with no problem and even run it on battery only, belt brand new adjusted to about 1/4" of play between PS and pulley to left
What about the pulleys ? ALL lined up ?

Broken bracket somewhere ?

Warped pulley ?

Double check all electrical connections , sensors , and even the PCM connection . You shutting down sounds like a temp loss of signal .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Ok update I swapped my tensioner pulley (guess you cant buy idler pulley) belt has stayed on for about 40 miles of driving. Alternator is good but the connections at the computer are bad when I wiggled the connections the jeep would shudder. Cleaned them up and put Dielectric grease around the outside and Noalox on the pins. Wait and see I guess

Found a 2 wire connector just to teh left of computer about 6" long wasnt plugged in anyone know what it is? I know pics would help but its raining like crazy here right now.

Yet another update...finally saw the tensioner pulley was about 1/8" in to far allowing the belt to ride on the rounded lip. Bought a few washers to space it off of the bracket and all seems well now....at least I hope. The jeep kept dying so I used every last zip-tie I had on the computer to hold everything tight.

Let it idle for 45 mins with zero problems dont want to take it on the rode just yet.

All I know is the guy I bought it from must have sold his sole to the devil to keep the Jeep running while I test drove it.
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

My jeep keeps tossing the belt at random I replaced the tensioner pulley but it looked like it sat too far back so I spaced it out with a few washers. With engine off the belt sits square on the pulley but with engine on it pulls the belt towards the edge. It doesnt wobble back and forth it just stays in the same position. Any ideas?

You can see in the pic and vid how the belt is being pulled off at an angle slightly

Unread 10-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

if everything else is aligned but its walking off the tensioner, theres something wrong with the tensioner
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
cbr900
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The only thing i cane think of because it sits square with engine off is that with the engine on it places more tension on the belt which pulls the pulley down at an angle. Is it normal to require the tensioner pulley to be spaced off about 3/4". When I bought the jeep it had about 6 washers behind the pulley, which doesnt look right to me. Do any of you all know if there is some type of spacer behind your tensioner pulley?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.