Jeep Died :-( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Died :-(

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 09-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Jeep Died :-(

So the one day the Jeep's Airbag light wont go off... the next the jeep doesn't even turn over...

I pushed it out of the parking spot, and had my friend come over and we tried to jump it. Once we jumped it, I got it to turn over, but it took forever to start. When I gave it some gas, it started to run, but I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. Once I let go of the pedal, it just died. We tried it 3 times...and it did the same time everytime. Also, inbetween each try the battery would act dead again. I had to have it towed to a mechanic in this area as I need to get it fixed ASAP...

One of the mechanics at the shop I called picked up my truck with their tow truck via my AAA. (Did a reverse tow) He said it sounded like the fuel pump, I called my dad and he said it sounds like the alternator because the battery keeps going dead. What do you guys think? I hope it's not both....

I told them to service the airbag too...

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
stratjb

Same thing happened to me and it was a combination of a bad battery and two bad connections. I tightened up the battery to alternator connection (on the back of the alt, was a little loose) and cleaned the negative post which had some corrosion. This allowed me to let it idle and keep it running long enough to get home. It wouldn't restart once I got it home and shut it off so I replaced the battery and everything was fixed.

I think the no idleing problem was caused by lack of juice to keep the fuel pumping.
stratjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

You know, now that you mention it... I remember having a problem way back where I tested the battery and it tested normal, but when I tested the terminals they were really low. I cleaned them, and then they worked, I should have thought of that first...as for the battery... I just replaced it a year ago, and I got a heavy duty one...I hope it didn't go bad that fast...

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

The battery should still have some warranty left. Try that first though.

I prefer Optima's.
Unread 09-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Varkyl
No where near stock

The battery would be my first suspect as well.
I will second Woody's vote for an optima.

new sig coming soon
Varkyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
mailforjon
2005 WK 

thirds on the optima.

went to play golf the other day, left the headlights and foglights on for well over 4 hours (played all 19 holes), got back to the car, and it started no problem.

id bet some duralast battery from autozone wouldnt have fared so well.

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
yrubugn
1998 ZJ 

Battery seems to be the general vote. I vote battery too.

Jeeps like allot of others wont idle immediately after jumping a stone dead battery. Hold the idle around 2000 with the accelerator for 30-40 seconds, then gradually remove throttle to idle. Comp loses memory on a stone dead battery and runs in limp mode until it re-learns sensor settings
yrubugn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.