Jeep dead on road need some help please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
superZJ96

Jeep dead on road need some help please

The jeep is a 96 zj i was driving down the highway when my downstream o2 sensor got twisted in the driveshaft im assuming because it ripped the wirees out Above the plug but anyway when it ripped it out it killed the engine i went and bought a new o2 sensor and found a thread on the forum telling me what wires on the new sensor to hook to the harness as they are not color matched so i did that and it still would not start i then disconnected the battery to reset everything and still couldnt get it to start i also checked my asd relay and that seams to be clicking when the key is turned to the on position on the jeep i have a green w/ orange striped, wire black w/ blue, black w/ pink, and black w/ tan new o2 sensor has gray black and 2 white wires any help would be appreciated thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

When the O2 sensor got ripped out it shorted the wires together and blew a fuse. Check both the PDC under the hood and the fuse panel on the passenger's side of the dash for blown fuses. I don't remember which fuse it is so you'll have to pull each and every one of them.

1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!
1953 Willys M100 trailer Tagalong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
superZJ96

Ok but if the fuse were blown it wouldnt click my relay would it?

post #4 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 AM
iser
1997 ZJ 

check the fuse on the last pic in this thread

- REST IN PEACE, RATMONKEY -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Specs- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
Upcoming Projects- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"
- gen. george patton
post #5 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Disconnect O2 sensors. Make sure the wires within the harness are not shorted together. Be sure PCM fuse is good.

This may get you going if PCM is not fried, but will have a CEL for O2 sensors and default fuel mix. Runs rich, but will get you off side of the road.

post #6 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
superZJ96

Allright thanks guys il try those and let you know how it goes
post #7 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 AM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Trying to splice in non mopar sensors, or ones with no real color coding can Be dangerous to your ecu.

While the heater element wiring has fuse protection there sensor return to the Ecu doesn't. 12v on a circuit that expects .5-1.5v is very bad.

This kind of thing has been known to fry more than one computer. I hope its just the o2 fuse, the Ecu shares that one for power.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

post #8 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
superZJ96

I got it running thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.