jeep 5.2 performance mods? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > jeep 5.2 performance mods?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 08-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
moparenthuz
1998 ZJ 

jeep 5.2 performance mods?

I have a 97 jeep 5.2. Currently no mods except I cut the exhaust off after my cat. First question is, what gain am I getting from my exhaust. I can feel a power difference there and slightly better mpg's. Also I have a 3 inch cat back in the box but I don't know if it will do anything. I plan on ordering a chip or tuner for it in the future. I am not sure which is the best for me, figured one of you can point me in the right direction. Along with whatever tune I get I am going to order a CAI and 180 thermostat. Please help me out here and lead me in the right direction. Also let me know if there is anything else I can do for performance and what gains I can expect from this all. Any and all help would be appreciated, Thanks..

moparenthuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
BenHoleton
2008 KK Liberty 

yes, a 3" exhaust will help over the stock. The engine doesn't have to work as hard and therefore will run more efficiently. I never dyno'd the before and after but it's definitely peppier and the fuel economy increased about .5 mpg
BenHoleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
moparenthuz
1998 ZJ 

Yah but as of now my exhaust is dumped after my cat so the cat back will just slow it down more and won't sound as good.
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
ELMCZJ95

Here we go
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
moparenthuz
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMCZJ95 View Post
Here we go
??
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
ELMCZJ95

people love to argue over what actually increases performance (exhaust, intake, etc.). But hopefully it doesn't turn into a huge argument like it usually does haha
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
moparenthuz
1998 ZJ 

Oh I completely understand what you are saying. I know that if I wanted real power I could put new cam in it and new heads but Im just looking for bolt ons. And I believe it was a confusion because he thought I still had stock exhaust. I know with my exhaust the way it is I am feeling some power all over the rpm range especially higher rpms.
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The best performance bolt on mod for the magnum motors besides forced induction is the Mopar performance ecu if you can find one. Best bolt on HP for the bucks if you stay with stock tires. If you get 33's then re gearing is the best. Check Ebay or email Nick kolak@aol.com
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Www.hughesengines.com

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Kolak
Vendor

Get a set of headers while you can. I have a few sets of the Doug Thorley headers available and once they are gone there won't be any more until Christmas at least. They are great power adders for the ZJ V8. The Thorley headers are the only ones left on the market for the ZJ V8 and they are an excellent setup. PM me if you'd like further information.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.