Jeep 4.0 water pump writeup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep 4.0 water pump writeup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Baja
1997 ZJ 

Jeep 4.0 water pump writeup

Hi Guys,

I recently changed the Water pump in my 97 ZJ, so I figured it was a great opportunity to do

my first writeup, so here goes...

1.- First you will need to drain all the coolant from the system, the radiator drain**** is at the bottom on the passenger side, please dispose of coolant responsibly.

2.- Loosen (but do NOT remove) the nuts holding the fan to the water pump, and remove the serpentine belt (the belt tensioner is at the power steering pump).

3.- As you can see here there is no space to remove the pump, so the fan & fan shroud need to come off.

4.- Remove the 2 nuts holding the fan shroud in place (shown opposite my belly ), and the nuts holding the Fan in place (the ones you loosened in step 2), this step was a PITA in my case.

5.- Here you can see how much more space there is after step 4.

6.- You will notice the Power steering pump is attached to a bracket, that is attached to the water pump (shown in picture below), so remove the PS pump (do not disconnect any PS hoses), and put it to the side, and remove the PS bracket.

7.- Here is the pump with bracket and PS pump removed.

8.- Remove the lower radiator hose, and the heater hose connected to a metal tube that goes to the water pump.

9.- Remove the bolts holding the water pump in place (one of the bolts is larger than the rest, remember where it goes), after this I TRIED to remove the pump, but noticed I could not remove it due to clearance issues with the metal tube between pulley and thermostat housing (see pic).

10.- So I decided to remove the thermostat housing and replace the t-stat while I was there,here is a pic of the t-stat with the housing removed.

11.- Clean all mating surfaces real good, for the water pump & thermo housing.

12.- You need to transfer the metal tube and the mounting studs for the fan to the new pump (note the position of the metal tube),I removed the studs with vise grips fairly easily. Here is a side by side old and new pumps.

13.- I used some RTV gasket sealant for the pump & thermostat housing (some people say you shouldnt do it, so its your choice).

14.- Installation is the reverse of removal, first the water pump.

15.- Then the housing (old one was in bad shape so I got a new one), and everything else !

Tips:
- Carefull when removing the connector for the coolant temp sensor, it is brittle and brakes easily (dont ask how I know).
- Fill with 50/50 water coolant mix.
- Check the coolant for a few days after to make sure you dont have any leaks and since air will be purged from the system, you may need to add more coolant.
- Install time was about 4 Hrs including lunch break and going to the store for new thermostat & housing.

Thats it, hope it helps somebody out !!!

Unread 10-20-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Very nice write up.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Dude, torque values? and after you install the pump, is there a way to check it for leaks or do you put it all back together and cross your fingers???
Unread 01-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Baja
1997 ZJ 

Sure... the water pump bolts need to be torqued at 22 ft/lbs.

As far as checking for leaks, I just crossed my fingers and hoped I wouldnt have to take everything apart again, the FSM says to install the gasket dry, but I used some black RTV as added insurance.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks! I finished my pump install today; on a 2000 4.0 I6, the torque value is 17 ft/lbs on the pump bolts, 23 ft/lbs on the fan/clutch bolts, and 22 ft/lbs on the pulley bolts.

I put the serpentine belt back on, new upper and lower rad hoses, filled up the radiator, and cranked the engine to let it warm up. I saw there was no leaks and waited for the hot water to start flowing in the top radiator hose (check be feeling the hose). Once I was happy the thermostat opened up and water was flowing where it should and NOT where it shouldn't, I let it cool down, put the fan and fan shroud on and called it a day.
Unread 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
MarsZJ
1995 ZJ 

no matter what i do i cant find the last bolt holding the powersteering pump on
MarsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsZJ View Post
no matter what i do i cant find the last bolt holding the powersteering pump on
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Jayt96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Thanks, Baja

Baja - Great write up. I'm a newbie and have a dripping water pump on my 1996 ZJ 4.0. Your instructions have given me the extra confidence to tackle this project soon.
Jayt96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Baja - Great write up. I'm a newbie and have a dripping water pump on my 1996 ZJ 4.0. Your instructions have given me the extra confidence to tackle this project soon.[/QUOTE]

He might not see you ...posted in 2010. I don't pay attention to the dates always either
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Jayt96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Good catch, Coralman. I was SO excited about the write up, I forgot to look at the post date.
Jayt96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , thermostat , water pump

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.