JcrOffroad Prototyping. ZJ DIY Bumpers - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > JcrOffroad Prototyping. ZJ DIY Bumpers

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #76
RTLee
1995 ZJ 

Funny how I was at your shop door asking about the same thing 1 year ago and you told me "We don't produce anything for that kind of Jeep." Asking if I can have something made resulted in straight refusal.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm not the kind of person that comes back to a vendor to be told no a third time. It was rude that you wouldn't even give me the time of day due to the model of jeep I drive....AND I WAS AT YOUR SHOP WITH MONEY IN HAND!!!

Look, thanks for the attempt. There are other fabricators that were more than helpful in answering my questions and didn't issue a "No" simply based on my driving a ZJ.

That's what I get for trying to support a Michigan vendor. Let alone a Kalamazoo based business. I lived there and firmly believed in spending my money there.

You can't have now what you didn't want then. You lost my business (custom= more money that I was willing to pay!).

Edit: long time lurker with few posts, but still a jeeper. Personal experience is all...

Last edited by RTLee; 03-23-2013 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: I'm not a troll...
RTLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #77
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

Its nice to finally have a company that will send out the precut steel so you can weld up yourself
But $400 plus the $80 shipping when I find some decent bumpers made on ebay free shipping for $100 more and I didnt have to buy welding wire gas grinding disks and my labor to build it just paint or powder coat them and go

Sorry to rain on your parade but in my opinion the price need to come down some to peak my intrests other wise ill just hold onto that money I save for those things till I either find a gun I cant refuse or finally spend it on the jeep
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #78
RTLee
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4x4 View Post
Its nice to finally have a company that will send out the precut steel so you can weld up yourself
But $400 plus the $80 shipping when I find some decent bumpers made on ebay free shipping for $100 more and I didnt have to buy welding wire gas grinding disks and my labor to build it just paint or powder coat them and go

Sorry to rain on your parade but in my opinion the price need to come down some to peak my intrests other wise ill just hold onto that money I save for those things till I either find a gun I cant refuse or finally spend it on the jeep
I have seen their work first hand. The quality is great with finished bumpers. It was what made me stop at their shop in the first place.

What puzzles me is why a company is offering DIY kits that require welding when anybody with a welder (worth their salt using said welder) wouldn't also have the tools to cut the material as well. At that point, why buy a "kit"?

The eBay bumpers you see have issues as well (maybe including breakage or QC issues). Otherwise, no one would buy the other (read: more expensive) brands if the cheap alternative works just as well.

If I go to a bloody fab shop, I want it fab'd. Otherwise, I'll make the investment in the proper tools and steel to "DIY" a bumper. That's "do it yourself".

Simply buying a kit doesn't mean it's quality, especially if you aren't a talented welder in the first place!!! Simply buying a cheapa$$ bumper doesn't mean a talented welder put it together either.

Cry once. If you want a good product, spend your money once.
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #79
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4x4 View Post

If you don't have a welder then you are in finished bumper territory. By the time you pay for it to be welded and powder coated or painted it's just about as expensive as a buying a finished product that you just bolt up. I don't know what a good welder would charge but I bet it's not cheap. It's not a bad looking bumper though. I wonder how it looks with the former Iceland Flares.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #80
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I would order if it was priced in line with the XJ line you offer. I just don't see where the extra $225 comes from when looking at the ZJ kit.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #81
RTLee
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
I would order if it was priced in line with the XJ line you offer. I just don't see where the extra $225 comes from when looking at the ZJ kit.
Ummm...it says JCROffroad on the box, maybe that's where... I guess cardboard went up or something...

They have a cornered market for "DIY" ZJ bumpers. That's where the extra cost is factored. Its a lack of competition.

Since the market is saturated in XJ parts, they can't have a high markup, or else people will look to the next manufacturer for a different product that offers more at that price point. Or the consumer cheaps out and gets a less expensive brand overall.

We are a semi-captive audience...
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #82
smcalpac
1998 ZJ 

Order placed. I like the DIY option as I can add my personal touch to it.
on two wheels anymore!
Camoflauge, camoflauge, I disappear when I pull out of my garage!

PM me for LED light bars and HID off road lights
smcalpac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #83
Primordial
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLee View Post
Funny how I was at your shop door asking about the same thing 1 year ago and you told me "We don't produce anything for that kind of Jeep." Asking if I can have something made resulted in straight refusal.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm not the kind of person that comes back to a vendor to be told no a third time. It was rude that you wouldn't even give me the time of day due to the model of jeep I drive....AND I WAS AT YOUR SHOP WITH MONEY IN HAND!!!

Look, thanks for the attempt. There are other fabricators that were more than helpful in answering my questions and didn't issue a "No" simply based on my driving a ZJ.

That's what I get for trying to support a Michigan vendor. Let alone a Kalamazoo based business. I lived there and firmly believed in spending my money there.

You can't have now what you didn't want then. You lost my business (custom= more money that I was willing to pay!).

Edit: long time lurker with few posts, but still a jeeper. Personal experience is all...
Interesting...I got basically the same response a few weeks ago when I sent a PM on CherokeeForum and now all of a sudden it's here...I wonder what changed in that short amount of time...

Quote:
That was my thought exactly!

Quote:
Ummm...it says JCROffroad on the box, maybe that's where... I guess cardboard went up or something...

They have a cornered market for "DIY" ZJ bumpers. That's where the extra cost is factored. Its a lack of competition.

Since the market is saturated in XJ parts, they can't have a high markup, or else people will look to the next manufacturer for a different product that offers more at that price point. Or the consumer cheaps out and gets a less expensive brand overall.

We are a semi-captive audience...
I see what you're saying here, but just because you "can" charge more doesn't mean you should. I have a welder and plasma cutter and a shop I can get steel from so I may just fab up my own setup, but the design overall looks nice and for the ease I might just suck it up.

The biggest issue I have is that I'd prefer to see a little bit more of the inner structure covered (i.e. out of sight) in the corners on the side in front of the wheel wells. Again, overall I do like the design though...
Primordial is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #84
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I didnt realize the xj bumpers were so much cheaper. Hell you might as well just get an xj bumper and fit it to your zj. It would be cheaper by far.
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #85
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I think some people have done that with the rear bumpers fitting the zj. The zj is not an easy vehicle to build a front bumper for, much harder than the xj.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #86
brimy311
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro16 View Post
Any plans to sell CAD files for those of us across the pond? I could do with a nice metal bumper!
Nope, we will only be offering it as a kit.

Like us on Facebook for up to date product updates and specials!
Follow us on Twitter!
brimy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #87
brimy311
Vendor

Quote:
It's pretty simple actually: It requires 2x as much material as the XJ DIY Winch Bumper!

Btw: It's $117 more for the ZJ DIY Winch to the XJ DIY Winch.

Follow us on Twitter!
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #88
brimy311
Vendor

Quote:

Look, thanks for the attempt. There are other fabricators that were more than helpful in answering my questions and didn't issue a "No" simply based on my driving a ZJ. We have to focus on the more popular Jeep models, because that's what keeps the lights on and the welders buzzing!

We are a manufacturer. We don't do custom work. We have a white board full of prototype ideas, but with limited time to prototype, we just get done what we can.

The ZJ DIY has been on the list, but you have to remember that they haven't made a ZJ since 1998! That's 15 years!!! It's hard to make product for a niche market like the ZJ.

Sorry that this turned you off to JCR.

Follow us on Twitter!
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #89
shocklee17
1998 ZJ 

Well doesn't look like 2 times the metal to me... your only using about a 1/3 of a 4x8 sheet (100-150$/SHEET) = ~40$ worth of metal. That burn would take about 10 minutes on a decent plasma table so you are overcharging by around 100-200 dollars because there isn't really any competition.
shocklee17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #90
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocklee17
Well doesn't look like 2 times the metal to me... your only using about a 1/3 of a 4x8 sheet (100-150$/SHEET) = ~40$ worth of metal. That burn would take about 10 minutes on a decent plasma table so you are overcharging by around 100-200 dollars because there isn't really any competition.
After seeing the price I'm just going to go with the flatland 4x4 plans and have it cut. Because I can have it done cheaper. Only reason I would have bought this was because of the ease of it. But thats not gonna happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.