Jack slipped, crushed oil pan. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jack slipped, crushed oil pan.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 08-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Jack slipped, crushed oil pan.

Pulling the front axle out of my parts jeep. I noticed the jack stands were sinking into the driveway and leaning pretty bad. So I figured I'd jack it up before they tipped over and the jeep fell (possibly on me).

As I was getting the jack under to remove/reposition the stands, the jeep fell off of them. Landed on the LCA brackets and oil pan. There is a noticeable dent in the oil pan. I have it jacked back up and sitting on a 4x4 beam for the time-being.

I was planning on selling this motor, since it was a great running motor. Could landing on the oil pan have caused any damage, aside from to the pan itself? Is it something I could check by pulling the pan off?

Unread 08-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Maybe damaged the oil pump and/or pickup but I wouldn't think it would hurt the bottom end. Should be easy enough to see by pulling the pan.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
Maybe damaged the oil pump and/or pickup but I wouldn't think it would hurt the bottom end. Should be easy enough to see by pulling the pan.
What will I be looking for in the pump/pickup?
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Look where the dent in the pan is, then when you pull it see what's in that area. The obvious would be a dented or badly kinked pickup tube or a dent in the pump itself.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
erisbrow
1994 ZJ 

Yeah, just pull the pan and inspect. See if the dent is near the oil pump and/or pickup. If so look for contact points/scuff marks inside the oil pan and on the pickup.
erisbrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erisbrow View Post
Yeah, just pull the pan and inspect. See if the dent is near the oil pump and/or pickup. If so look for contact points/scuff marks inside the oil pan and on the pickup.
It's right in the middle of the lowest point of the pan. Where approximately is the pump/pickup?
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
erisbrow
1994 ZJ 

On this particular motor im not sure, but traditionally it is towards the back of the motor and hangs out below your crankshaft...
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
erisbrow
1994 ZJ 

Here is a V8 with the pan pulled. The round guy towards the back is the pickup.
picture.jpg

Unread 08-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

The pump extends into the sump of the pan
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.