I've got free $$ and a stock ZJ... Suspension upgrade anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > I've got free $$ and a stock ZJ... Suspension upgrade anyone?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
ItsTheDogs
1998 ZJ 

I've got free $$ and a stock ZJ... Suspension upgrade anyone?

I was just handed a check toward "repairs" on my '98 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4L stock stock stock with 199,200 miles.

I love this rig.
I will cry when it dies.

Initially, this thread was to be about suspension, so we will start there -- but I'll leave it open-ended for critical upgrades / fixes I should be thinking about.

The shocks and springs are original (hell, everything is, save a rebuilt rear end), and she's beginning to ride like a trampoline, and is super-sloppy when loaded.

I'm thinking: as long as I'm replacing shocks, I might as well upgrade... but I'm picky.

Driving Style:
-- 85% of my driving is on road/hwy: gas mileage is pretty important
-- 75% of my driving, I am LOADED: toys, bikes, dog(s), wife, camping gear, roof box, beer, and occasionally a trailer
-- 15% is off pavement (gravel, two-track, national forest dirt roads, possibly muddy, occasionally rutted, but generally considered passable by high-clearance vehicles) <--- I do this a lot.
-- <1% is anything anyone would call "off-road" (big rocks, steps, etc) -- but it does occasionally happen, usually unintentionally.

Tires:
-- I have 225 75R15 (what size is this?) Dueler A/T Revos on stock alloy rims that will be replaced before winter -- however my spare tire (same size) is in great shape, I'm probably too cheap to increase tire size...

Lift:
-- I would like to get a few inches under me since T-case rub is not uncommon on some of the forest roads -- and DEEP snow is very common
-- I like a more aggressive look
-- I don't want major hit on gas mileage
-- I don't want my lady to have to be on belay when climbing in

So... any recommendations?

I've read through these forums (long time reader, first time poster. Hi! ) It seems like Old Man Emu or Bilsteins are good brands... I know nothing about Iron Rock Offroad, but their "Foundation Series" (with the Bilstein upgrade) looks interesting...

OR... should I scrap the suspension upgrade since this beast has one foot in the grave, and use the cash as a down-payment on something else. (Please say no).

Last edited by ItsTheDogs; 08-29-2013 at 05:54 PM..
ItsTheDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

OME and bilsteins would give you about 2.5" of lift and really help when you're loaded up.

A little over your $700 but not much. And well worth it. PM kolak.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

I wouldn't worry about keeping the spare. Age takes a toll even on an unused tire. Upgrade tires, buy 5 new ones with your new rims & do a 5 tire rotation schedule. Then if you need the spare it has the same wear as all other tires in your mix. I see sooooo many Wranglers with brand new looking spares & old worn tires for the ride.

stageninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

IMO it will look silly lifted with stock size tires.
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stageninja View Post
I see sooooo many Wranglers with brand new looking spares & old worn tires for the ride.
ive seen some with 35-37 inch tires on them with the stock spare hanging on the back
might as well put a decal across the windshield that says "i never go offroad!"
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Kolak
Vendor

Did you do a hub/fender measurement to see if the stock springs have sagged? I'd like to see you get a set of OME springs, but if you stock ones haven't sagged maybe just get a 2" Budget Boost and some Bilsteins and put the rest of your money toward freshening up some bushing in the suspension.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

^what he said
stock measurement from the center of the wheel to the edge of the fender is 18 inches
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I used to sell BDS suspension, and you could get a 3 inch kit with shocks fairly cheap...And it would clear a 31 inch tire.....
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
ItsTheDogs
1998 ZJ 

So on what I 'think' is mostly level, all 4 wheels come in at just approaching 18" center to fender... (possibly 1/8" shy... but I don't have a proper tape on hand right now)

So this means springs are fine? and I could get away with a budget boost and new shocks? What would
Quote:
freshening up some bushing in the suspension.
entail?

Also, I'm not opposed to upping the tire size, but fear the mpg hit...
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

hes talking about the control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, stuff like that

the mpg hit would be more drastic in a 4.0 i would think, since its already working too hard as it is.
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
Kolak
Vendor

Your springs sound A-OK so I would suggest you inspect your control arm bushings, swaybar endlink & bar mount bushings, trackbar bushings, etc. for signs of degradation (cracks, missing chunks, etc).
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I run a 235/75/15 on factory rims..and it looks good...no lift....Someday I will add a small lift, probly 3 inchs max with 31's
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
ItsTheDogs
1998 ZJ 

So, its sounding like a 2" Budget Boost and new Bilstein 5100s are the way to go. I'll think about tire size when I need to...

Which shocks do I need? I see a lot of different model #s out there and can't find a difinitive fit guide. So far I've come up with: Front: 24-185622, Rear: 33-151670

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Also, any recommendations for a quality 2" BB?
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

AFAIK they're all pretty much the same. Do new spring isolators at the same time.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
ItsTheDogs
1998 ZJ 

Are isolators matched upper and lower? Does the BB replace the upper isolator? Or do I set the BB on it?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.