Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Its Alive! Rebirth of Trailzj

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Trailzj 
#1 ·
Hello my fellow Grand Cherokee enthusiasts! Today is a great day! I just started up my 94 ZJ for the first time in over 2 years! I purchased a new battery, cables, plugs, oil filter, oil, gas treatment stuff, and viola! This beast started up quicker then my Camery!

It started alright, but this thing still needs a lot of work.

Vague list of problems:
Broken track bar mount
whole brake system sucks
transfercase is not offroadable
steering needs to be replaced/upgraded
unibody cracks
bent control arms
and these are just the fixes not the upgrades that I want to do.

I hope to be doing much documentation.

Here are my first two posts on the forum:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=837815&postcount=189
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=837899&postcount=190

All specs are still the same.

Anyone here from Grand Slam South West 2005?

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks, I just skimmed through your build up. Wow! Very nice EMT.

About my T-case :laugh:
Its a worn out 249. If one of my tires comes off the ground, its gonna be the only one with power. To remedy this problem at GSSW 2005 I had to gas it while brakeing hard.:rolleyes: :laugh:

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
FortCollinsZJ said:
Is that a spare up front? although I actually like those silver wheels better than the black
:laugh: It used to be the spare until I bent one of my black steelies. Now I am using a cheap 33" tire on a stock GC alloy as a spare.

#9 ·
I like the trail functionality of it.

Hunter

#13 ·
Arlo past me. I think it was a personal mission.

Hunter

#14 ·
I know a guy local to me (Socal) who has the drag link and tie rods from a V8 ZJ in good condition. The V8 setup is a little different but apparently it's more beefy than the I6 stuff. It also has the front brakes but it was hit in the rear so only one side of the rear brakes might be good. If you aren't looking to go with a WJ conversion on the steering it might be a good way to get your Jeep back on the road.

Where is the track bar mount broken? On the unibody or on the axle?

I like those sliders....congrats on getting her back on the road!

#17 ·
What? Don't be crazy. I'm sure the CO Jeep Club could do without you for at least an hour....:)

Hunter

#18 ·
FortCollinsZJ said:
there is no way that that is only a 2.5" lift! it looks a lot bigger.
Well having removed the bumpers, trimmin pounds off the fenders, having 4 1/2 inches of clrearence over aftermarket sliders, really creates the illusion of lift.
Oh, and I also the way I took the picture.

Here is a photo with my old after market sliders. Notice the huge difference?

#21 ·
ben_wagner said:
I remember seeing those pictures back when I first started browsing. Everytime a tire slips in mud I imagine the 'mud cone' and missing fender fascia. Good to have you back!
:D It feels good to be back Ben.

Yeah, after throwing pottery on my wheels I figured there wasn't anything else left for me to do in the mud. I've kept my wheels firmly on the rocks ever since.

#22 ·
Upside said:
I know a guy local to me (Socal) who has the drag link and tie rods from a V8 ZJ in good condition. The V8 setup is a little different but apparently it's more beefy than the I6 stuff. It also has the front brakes but it was hit in the rear so only one side of the rear brakes might be good. If you aren't looking to go with a WJ conversion on the steering it might be a good way to get your Jeep back on the road.

Where is the track bar mount broken? On the unibody or on the axle?

I like those sliders....congrats on getting her back on the road!
Thanks, but I think I wll be ditching the Y steering for a custom knuckle setup.
I should be able to weld a beefier trac mount on the axle.

Heres a slider close up shot:

Whats funny, but cool at the same time is that my slider is a bolt-on. I couldn't imagine trying to weld 1/4 hitch steel to sheet metal. 20 bolts are used to attatch it to the pinch seem inside and out. The subframe is sleeved with 1/4 4x4(cut out the side with the seam weld).

I have more clearence at the rockers than a Wrangler on 33s with after market sliders :goink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.